Before I Forget

by André Brink | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingsota48wing of Hokksund, Buskerud fylke Norway on 3/21/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingsota48wing from Hokksund, Buskerud fylke Norway on Tuesday, March 21, 2017
"Chris Minaar is a distinguished South African writer, an old writer, but a writer who has lost whatever gift he had for writing. It is on New Year's Eve, courtesy of his stalled car, that he meets Rachel, a young sculptress who becomes the great love of his life, a love greater for being unfulfilled.

He finds himself captivated by Rachel and drawn into a close friendship with her husband. As their friendship develops, Chris must reconcile himself to an unaccustomed type of intimacy but one that inevitably threatens this precarious triangular relationship.

Woven through this is the story of his life and of a lifetime's loving. For he has known many women. As it becomes clear that this book is the final writing act of Chris's creative life, so we understand that these recollections are an attempt to bring order to an otherwise chaotic existence.

Before I Forget is the history of a life set against the history of a nation, and the history of a transforming love."

This book is donated to BookCrossing by a friend.

Released 2 yrs ago (4/21/2017 UTC) at Bookcrossing Convention Oslo 2017 in St. Hanshaugen bydel, Oslo fylke Norway

For the book buffet at the Convention in Oslo 2017.

Journal Entry 3 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Saturday, April 22, 2017
I've read other books by Brink, thus this made me curious.

Journal Entry 4 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Saturday, February 02, 2019
A love story, however, not in the traditional sense of the word. A love story to the one woman he couldn't get, whilst telling the stories of all the women he did get. In between it all, the struggle of apartheid and life in South Africa.
I quite enjoyed the book, both the way the story unraveled, and the way it is written.