Clouds of Witness

by Dorothy L. Sayers | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 3/13/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, March 13, 2017
I found this fair-condition paperback at the local Salvation Army thrift store, and as it's one of my favorite Sayers books I nabbed it for another release copy.

Here, Lord Peter - whose reputation as an amateur sleuth has been a growing annoyance to his brother the Duke of Denver - finds himself having to try to solve a murder of which his brother's been accused! Lots of amusing byplay, especially when Peter and his friend Detective Parker are examining the crime scene:

Mr. Parker proudly stepped to a row of wooden frames, carefully covered with matting. Stripping this away, with the air of a bishop unveiling a memorial, he disclosed a V-shaped line of footprints.

“These,” said Parker, “belong to nobody—to nobody I've ever seen or heard of, I mean.”

“Hurray!” said Peter.
“Then downwards from the steep hill's edge
They tracked the footmarks small

(only they're largish).”

“No such luck,” said Parker. “It's more a case of:
“They followed from the earthy bank
Those footsteps one by one,
Into the middle of the plank;
And farther there were none!”

“Great poet, Wordsworth,” said Lord Peter; “how often I've had that feeling."

And there's considerable drama, as when Lord Peter finds himself lost in a treacherous bog. Oh, and some budding romance as well, in a rather unlikely quarter...

[There's a TV Tropes page on the Wimsey books, with some entertaining tidbits. And I enjoyed the 1972 TV adaptation starring Ian Carmichael as Wimsey - though I admit I liked Edward Petherbridge's Wimsey better.]

Released 1 yr ago (3/13/2017 UTC) at Emerson Park next to the Post Office in Milford, New Hampshire USA

I left this book, bagged against the elements, on a bench at Emerson Park at around 4; hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2017 4 Elements release challenge. ***

*** Released for the 2017 TV Series release challenge. ***

Journal Entry 3 by Stevenalan91 at Milford, New Hampshire USA on Friday, March 24, 2017
Found this little guy while I was out walking my dog! I'm going to give it a read and send it back out! I'm excited!