The Mystic Masseur

by V.S. Naipaul | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 037570714x Global Overview for this book
Registered by jeniwren of Greigs Flat, New South Wales Australia on 3/9/2017
Journal Entry 1 by jeniwren from Greigs Flat, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, March 09, 2017
This novel traces the story of Ganesh, a 'ten a penny' masseur from Trinidad. From failed primary school teacher and masseur to author, revered mystic and MBE, his is a journey memorable for its hilarious and bewildering success. My edition is from the Caribbean Writers Series with different cover to that shown.

I have registered this book for Edwardstreet / Australasian Wishlist Tag Game.

Journal Entry 2 by wingEdwardstreetwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Saturday, April 22, 2017
Thank you for this Australasian Tag perfect for my 666 challenge endeavour

Read for the 666 challenge as set in the Indian community of Trinidad.
An affectionate laugh at the quirky beliefs and the rise of a pompous little man and his fellow villagers who aspire to be something else.

Journal Entry 4 by wingkiwiinenglandwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Friday, May 05, 2017
Thanks for passing this on Edwardstreet, it looks a promising read.

Journal Entry 5 by wingkiwiinenglandwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Sunday, June 18, 2017
A strange wee book, looking at corruption, colonialisation, social status, and alternative health.

No one was particularly pleasant in the book.

Journal Entry 6 by wingkiwiinenglandwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (7/26/2017 UTC) at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand

This book is heading off to Europe for the winner of the "authors from unusual countries" sweepstake.

Journal Entry 7 by wingcontowing at Lisboa (city), Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Tuesday, August 08, 2017
Just arrived! Another quick travel from the antipodes! :)
From V.S.Naipaul I've just read A Bend in the River, many years ago. Just remember I loved it. But I didn't even know he was from Trinidad and that he had a series of books now called the Trinidad novels.
That's why I'm so very happy with this last piece of a sweepstake amazing good luck.
Thanks kiwi!

Journal Entry 8 by wingcontowing at Lisboa (city), Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Saturday, February 10, 2018
What a marvellous piece of reading!
This book grabbed me immediately, in it's first page, with it's special kind of sardonic humour, much more subtle in most chapters but pretty obvious in this passage:
"'I know the sort of doctors it have in Trinidad,' my mother used to say. 'They think nothing of killing two three people before breakfast.'
This wasn't as bad as it sounds: in Trinidad the midday meal is called breakfast."
Hilarious! :)
But the rest of it is an outspokenly good natured satire of the world of the Caribbean Hindu, and a damn well written one, as well, for instance with it's subtle changes in the speech of Ganesh, the main character, accompanying his rise from a failed primary school teacher to a successful politician.
Thanks again, kiwiinengland, for a wonderful book.