I am Not a Serial Killer

by Dan Wells | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by _carmen of Mistelbach, Niederösterreich Austria on 3/8/2017
Journal Entry 1 by _carmen from Mistelbach, Niederösterreich Austria on Wednesday, March 08, 2017
Als Wunschlistenbuch für eine besondere Buchlieferung gekauft.
Vorher darf es aber noch auf meinen TBR-Stapel

13. März 2017: Ich habs nicht so mit dem übernatürlichen "Es" - aber trotzdem hat mich das Buch gefesselt, weil ich unbedingt wissen wollte, wie es John besiegt.

Journal Entry 2 by _carmen at Mistelbach, Niederösterreich Austria on Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (3/30/2017 UTC) at Mistelbach, Niederösterreich Austria

reist zu meinem Geburtstags-Wichtelkind.
Hoffentlich hast du viel Freude mit diesem Wunschlistenbuch!

Journal Entry 3 by wingkarneolwing at Nürnberg, Bayern Germany on Wednesday, April 05, 2017
Ha, wie cool ist das denn? Hatte ja nicht erwartet, das Buch mal noch zu kriegen :-D

Als Teil vom Geburtstagswichtelpaket hier angekommen. BC-Wichtel sind einfach immer noch die besten! ;-)

******************************************************************
17.06.2017
Officialy I should be reading only for my Masterthesis as my time to finish it is very very limited... ;-)
But this book was a must-read since it arrived here and once started of course I couldn't stop reading until I was through with it.

I loved it. I think the interest in serial killers is not one limited on special kids like John. There is a reason why series such as criminal minds are successful. The psychology and explanations behind such extreme criminal behavior seems very interesting to me to, mostly because I think when you try to explain or define something, you need to examine the borders, the limits of a concept or definition. Therefore if you are interested in questions about morality, about being human etc. you arrive quite quickly at examples regarding sociopaths or psychopaths. And John Cleaver thinks about this a lot! Dan Wells has created a fascinating figure here.
One thing about the psychology he explains didn't satisfy me though. John Cleaver describes himself as a person having all signs of a sociopath, quite correctly as far as I have read and heard about this subject. One point though he hasn't yet thought through thoroughly it seems to me. Sociopathic behavior is mostly about not feeling empathy, not having a normal sense of morals, not really caring about others etc. From what I understand, it is completely normal for a sociopath to kill or harm somebody who stands in his way without any remorse, but the extreme desire to be violent, described by John as the Mr. Monster in him, is absolutely not necessarily connected to it.

As you see, I love the subject and I like how Dan Wells handled it in this book. I hope to read the followers some time soon :-D

Journal Entry 4 by wingkarneolwing at per Post, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (6/28/2017 UTC) at per Post, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Unterwegs um die nächste Wunschliste zu verkleinern... 😉

Journal Entry 5 by VintageVanguard at Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Thursday, July 06, 2017
Wohoo, das Buch ist angekommen. Vielen Dank für diesen RABCK! Ich freue mich schon sehr aufs Lesen :)

------------

Finished reading this yesterday.
It was a quick, fun read but I'm not too convinced to keep on reading this series. I'm not a big fan of teenage protagonists because it's always SO MUCH ANGST with them, especially when they are a misunderstood sociopath.
Sometimes this felt like The Adventures of Young Dexter (from the book and TV series Dexter). Just that Dexter handles certain situations so much better.
The big reveal about who the muderer/demon is was very foreseeable.

Journal Entry 6 by VintageVanguard at Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (2/14/2018 UTC) at Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany