corner corner Astral Project Vol. 01

Astral Project Vol. 01
by marginal, Syuji Takeya | Graphic Novels
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 3/7/2017

status (set by AlterEgoZoe): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, March 07, 2017

I got this manga at The Comic Store in Nashua, intrigued by the unfamiliar title. Turns out it's by the author of Old Boy, which means it could be very dark indeed....

Later: Not that dark, at least not yet. The premise: Masahiko, a young man estranged from his family and working as a part-time chauffeur for high-class call-girls, finds an unlabeled CD among the effects of his late sister. When he listens to it he finds that he's suddenly floating above his own body - and from there, his experiments in astral projection make up much of the story, as he tests his abilities and meets other astral beings.

But that's not all - he wants to know the truth about his sister's death, and also to understand why the music on the CD caused his own new ability to manifest. He learns that the CD contains tracks from a jazz musician whose work is hard to come by, and this attracts the attention of collectors - but doesn't answer the question of where the astral projection came in.

Near the end of this volume, there's a turn-the-page shocker as Masahiko is confronted by a truly terrifying astral being - though even that winds up being something other than it appeared at first.

Unusual and interesting beginning to a series!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Released 6 mos ago (7/6/2017 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm putting this book in the manga/graphic novel bookbox, which will be on its way to its next stop soon. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Took out of Nimrodiel's manga/graphic novel box.

Journal Entry 4 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, December 28, 2017

I read this the other day. It wasn't what I expected just going by the description. I liked it alright, but I don't think I'd go seeking for the other volumes specifically.