Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives: The Funky Finds in Flavortown: America's Classic Joints and Killer Comfort Food

by Guy Fieri, Ann Volkwein | Cooking, Food & Wine |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 3/7/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, March 07, 2017
I found this brand-new softcover at a local Salvation Army thrift shop, and had to pick it up. I've enjoyed watching some of Fieri's Diners, Drive-ins and Dives TV Series, and have visited several of the places he highlighted on the show - including one or two that are in this book. (This is the third book based on the show; its index includes restaurants described in previous books.)

The book's lots of fun, with Guy's comments presented in a breezy style that sounds just like him, and with additional comments from the folks at the places he visits. There are recipes for each place, too, a nice touch, especially for the spots too far away to visit easily! There's a variety of cuisines, from Peruvian to Mexican to Italian to Native American, and ranging from simple dishes to high-end ones. And some blends of both, as in the "Foie gras and fries"! I think my favorite oddball-themed entry here was "Lauer-krauts", which specializes in sauerkraut, but the whole book's fun to browse through.

[There's a TV Tropes page on the show, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Parker's Maple Barn & Sugar House in Mason, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, March 07, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (3/7/2017 UTC) at Parker's Maple Barn & Sugar House in Mason, New Hampshire USA

I plan to leave this book on a bench at Parker's Maple Barn at around 1:30; hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2017 Wine+Food release challenge. ***