I Am Not Myself These Days: A Memoir

by Josh Kilmer-Purcell | Biographies & Memoirs | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingghirwing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 3/5/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingghirwing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, March 05, 2017
Extra copy. I knew it was on someone's wishlist, but couldn't find it through search, for some reason. Reserved for Firegirl. Media mail, 03/11/17.

Journal Entry 2 by wingFiregirlwing at Annandale, Virginia USA on Thursday, March 16, 2017
Thank you, thank you! This has been on my WL for some time. I appreciate you sharing this copy with me.

Journal Entry 3 by wingFiregirlwing at Annandale, Virginia USA on Monday, April 30, 2018
I really quite liked this. I actually picked it for my (three member) book club to read and the other two participants both said how much they were enjoying it. I'll write a more extensive review once we've had out gathering to discuss it next month. Thank you for sharing!

Journal Entry 4 by wingFiregirlwing at Annandale, Virginia USA on Saturday, May 19, 2018
My book group is just me and two other friends, but we all liked this. It's a crazy story of a crazy life, but we also all noted that it also showed that, no matter how different we may seem, we have the same basic issues, just manifested in different ways. (Not the drugs or alcohol, but relationships, self-esteem, etc.) Despite Josh and Jack's wild lifestyle, there were also the simple moments of "normal" life - reading the paper together, going to dinner, that kind of thing.

We talked about what, if anything, was exaggerated. The other two participants thought maybe some parts were embellished; it didn't occur to me to doubt anything at all.

We also discussed why these two came together. What was it about Josh that Jack was drawn to? Did he need someone to take care of? Had someone helped him in the past and he was looking to do the same? Did he need to have a relationship with someone who was just a little bit dependent on him?

Drugs and alcohol play a significant part in this and opened up for lots of talk on those subjects. What really drove Josh to get sober? Why did Jack become an addict?

I could go on; we found a great deal in this to talk about. An excellent read and a surprisingly good choice for a book club. Thanks again!