A girl is a half-formed thing

Pass it on, meow!
by Eimear McBride | Plays & Scripts |
Registered by wingDeepswampwing of Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on 1/18/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingDeepswampwing from Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Thursday, January 18, 2018
Eimear McBride's debut tells, with astonishing insight and in brutal detail, the story of a young woman's relationship with her brother, and the long shadow cast by his childhood brain tumour. Not so much a stream of consciousness, as an unconscious railing against a life that makes little sense, and a shocking and intimate insight into the thoughts, feelings and chaotic sexuality of a vulnerable and isolated protagonist, to read A Girl Is A Half-Formed Thing is to plunge inside its narrator's head, experiencing her world first-hand. This isn't always comfortable - but it is always a revelation. Touching on everything from family violence to sexuality and the personal struggle to remain intact in times of intense trauma, McBride writes with singular intensity, acute sensitivity and mordant wit. A Girl is a Half-formed Thing is moving, funny - and alarming.

Journal Entry 2 by wingDeepswampwing at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Thursday, January 18, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (1/18/2018 UTC) at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden

Boken behöver röra på sig...

Journal Entry 3 by VictoriaWagtail at Bagarmossen, Stockholm Sweden on Monday, January 29, 2018
Got in the mail as a surprise today and what a surprise! Deepswamp, you always know what I want to read! How did you know I'm into everything Irish at the moment and trying to read as much as possible from and/or about Ireland? I'm really looking forward to reading this book, thank you!! <3

Journal Entry 4 by VictoriaWagtail at Bagarmossen, Stockholm Sweden on Monday, January 29, 2018
I had to read this one straight away and when I had started I couldn't put it down so I read it in one go. The subject matter is horrible but it's beautifully written. This is an adaption for the stage and I can't wait to read the actual novel, I think it's going to be even better.

Journal Entry 5 by VictoriaWagtail at Bagarmossen, Stockholm Sweden on Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (1/30/2018 UTC) at Bagarmossen, Stockholm Sweden

Almost immediately, this book is travelling again, it was that good. I hope it gets many readers!

Journal Entry 6 by Panzeranzi at Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Friday, February 02, 2018
Thank you for sending me this play! I have Heard about the book, not sure where, probably at Gothenburg Book fair.

2018-09-10
Read this on the train to Stockholm. Wow. It's powerful, aching, sad and I get angry and hurt and I want to cry. I'd love to see it on stage. Stories like these must be told over and over again.

Journal Entry 7 by Panzeranzi at Espresso House Drottninggatan 90 in Stockholm, Stockholm Sweden on Monday, September 10, 2018

Released 7 mos ago (9/10/2018 UTC) at Espresso House Drottninggatan 90 in Stockholm, Stockholm Sweden

Släpper på fika.