Missing Justice (Samantha Kincaid #2)

by Alafair Burke | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by Tribefan of Wake Forest, North Carolina USA on 2/16/2017
Journal Entry 1 by Tribefan from Wake Forest, North Carolina USA on Thursday, February 16, 2017
Newly promoted Deputy District Attorney Samantha Kincaid's first assignment back after a much-needed vacation is a hot one: Judge Clarissa Easterbrook has gone missing from a wealthy Portland neighborhood, and Sam has to make the DA look good until the prodigal judge returns. Yet it soon becomes clear that the woman didn't vanish voluntarily-and it's no surprise when her bludgeoned body turns up at a local construction site.

What is surprising is how quickly a suspect is apprehended while Clarissa's husband, a prominent surgeon, is cleared of suspicion. It all seems a bit cut-and-dried to Sam, especially when she discovers that Clarissa was keeping secrets that the city's elite would prefer to stay hidden.

Now, with each piece of the puzzle she uncovers, Sam is getting closer to the truth-and to the wrong side of some very powerful people. It seems Clarissa's secrets may have caught up to her in the worst of ways. And in her quest to exonerate an innocent man, Sam could be next in line...

Journal Entry 2 by Tribefan at Mystery VBB, Virtual Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Friday, February 09, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (2/9/2018 UTC) at Mystery VBB, Virtual Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Hope you enjoy the book!

Bookcrossing: n. the practice of leaving a book in a public place to be picked up and read by others, who then do likewise.
- from the Concise Oxford English Dictionary

Welcome to BookCrossing!

Thank you for picking up this book. Please make a journal entry on the BookCrossing site (www.bookcrossing.com) to let me know that this book has found a good home with you. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free). If you join, please consider indicating that you were referred by Tribefan. I hope you enjoy the book. You can make another journal entry with your comments when you’ve finished reading. Whenever you’re ready to send it on its way, make a journal entry if you are giving or sending this book to a known person, or release notes if you are leaving it “in the wild” again for anyone to catch. Then watch its journey. You’ll be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry. It’s all confidential (you’re known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free.

Journal Entry 3 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, April 15, 2018
The only thing better than going away and missing 6 weeks of winter is coming home and finding book packages in the mail. Thank you Tribefan for sending this book to me. I am a huge fan of Alafair's father's writing so I have been wanting to read something of hers.

Journal Entry 4 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, February 14, 2019
I've been wanting to read a novel by Alafair Burke for quite a while. Her father, James Lee Burke, is one of my favourite modern authors and I wanted to see if the daughter was cut from the same cloth. If this book is a good example I would say she is a lot less noir than JLB and doesn't have quite the same ability to draw word pictures. However, it was still a pretty good read.

Deputy District Attorney Samantha Kincaid has just gotten back to Portland from a couple of weeks of vacation in Hawaii. She thought she would at least have until Monday morning to start her new position with Major Crimes but then a municipal judge is reported missing by her surgeon husband. Sam's boss wants her to go to the house with a couple of detectives to make sure that the case of Judge Clarissa Easterbrook is dealt with properly. Everyone expects that the judge will show up but when her body is found at a building site the case is Sam's first murder case. Police start looking at the husband as is usual in murder cases but Dr. Easterbrook was in surgery at the hospital all Sunday. Just to be sure he is treated fairly he hires a prominent attorney who just happens to be Sam's ex-husband. The investigators hired by the husband's counsel turn up another suspect, a man who had appeared before Judge Easterbrook and had written her threatening letters. He worked at the construction site and a hammer that was used to kill the judge was found in his home. Seems like a slam-dunk case except, of course, Sam starts looking more into the property developers and finds some suspicious activities. Portland has a very strict policy against urban sprawl but it looks like that might change soon and some developers stand to gain handsomely.

Who knew that city politics could be so thrilling? At least in the fictional world they are. I somehow doubt that Winnipeg's zoning disputes could be as convoluted as the ones portrayed in this book in the city of Portland, Oregon. On the other hand there were some pretty shifty things in previous city administrations. Budding novelists take note of the land for fire hall deals; you might be able to use it for a thrill-packed mystery in Winnipeg.

Journal Entry 5 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, April 06, 2019
I am putting this book into the Mystery/Thriller/Suspense VBB for the next round at least and marking it as reserved.

Journal Entry 6 by winggypsysmomwing at Snellville, Georgia USA on Tuesday, July 02, 2019

Released 5 mos ago (7/2/2019 UTC) at Snellville, Georgia USA

Shroffland requested this book from the Mysteries and Thrillers VBB. I was out of the country at the time and when I got back things were pretty hectic for a while. I apologize for the delay. Hope you enjoy the book.

When you find a BookCrossing book it is yours to do with what you like. You can read it and keep it or pass it on or if you don't think it is your kind of book pass it on to someone who might like it or release it in a spot for someone else to find like you just did. Whatever you choose it would be great if you could write a short note letting us know what new adventures the book is on.

Journal Entry 7 by wingShrofflandwing at Snellville, Georgia USA on Tuesday, July 09, 2019
Thank you gypsysmom! And for the beautiful card you made from the photo from Riding mountain National Park, which brought back so many childhood memories!