The Star of the Sea

by Joseph O'Connor | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 3/12/2004
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, March 12, 2004
Very clever, well plotted, packed with historical, cultural and some tongue-in-cheek literary references. Roddy Doyle says, “...it is shocking, hilarious, beautifully written, and very, very clever”, well yes, no, yes & yes; too much pain, death and the consequences of human weaknesses to be ‘hilarious’ for me. I won’t try to give you a condensed plot, try this review www.curledup.com A couple of minor caveats; it’s a bit too anti-English for my sensibilities – I irrationally tend to take these things personally ‘the sins of our fathers’? Like Peter Carey and his True History of the Kelly Gang, it’s a bit too easy, in hindsight, to blame the rich, the landed, the powerful, the successful. Its never entirely black and white, and O’Connor does try to give other perspectives on the Irish nature as victims, their prejudices, and the home-grown collaborators. I suppose fictionalised history will always run the risk of being biased and emotional (as opposed to rational/journalistic?) Secondly, a warning, this is quite a complex novel, I was constantly flicking back and forward to trace the events & characters. You need your wits about you to get the most out of this book, and run the risk of feeling completely rung-out when you’ve finished it, I felt like I had spent 26 days on the blighted ship!

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan at on Tuesday, April 27, 2004
Released on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 at to another bookcrosser in n/a, n/a Controlled Releases.

Passed on to Gooner at the unofficial Ely meet-up today

Journal Entry 3 by Gooner from March, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 27, 2004
Thanks to BookGroupMan for bringing this one along. I'll journal it when I've finished reading it.

Journal Entry 4 by Gooner from March, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 18, 2004
I loved this, although it was hard to follow occasionally. Was it a story within a story? Were all the footnotes references to actual books?

I read it mainly in Dublin on a short break: I sat opposite the Stena ferry terminal at Dun Laoghaire (try typing that after three pints of Guinness!) and tried to imagine the port as it would have been when it was known as Kingstown ... Themed reading for holidays could catch on with me, in a big way.

I don't make political statements in public so will refrain from commenting on the contents.

But I'll comment on the book: a brilliant read for me, at any rate. Thanks BookGroupMan for making it available.