The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency

by Alexander McCall Smith | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 3/12/2004
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, March 12, 2004
The UK p/b book cover

"Mma Ramotswe was not tall - being blessed with generous girth, rather than height"

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, July 09, 2004
(09/07) Review to follow

This is a lovely, gentle, human & funny book. Alexander McCall Smith has created a great new voice for Africa, for the...erm ‘larger’ woman, and for female ‘tecs’ - the indomitable Mma Ramotswe. I would even go as far and say that he has created a whole new genre?

I loved the ebb and flow (or should I say weft & warp?) of the novel built around a number of disparate cases, but cleverly weaving in personal history, southern African culture & recent history, and homespun wisdom. He resists the temptation of modern writers to be overcomplicated around a single crime or mystery. AMS obviously has a great love for Botswana and its people, he says that "every man has a map in his heart of his own country" and makes a subtle reference, I think, to the darker and more political & cynical colonial & post-colonial African novels. Talking about the taboo subject of witchcraft, "in the midst of all that made Botswana a modern country, this thing had happened, this heart of darkness had thumped out like a drum"

I shall definitely look out for more adventures from the No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency, but I may have to pace myself to enjoy the pleasures – how very African!

Journal Entry 3 by BookGroupMan at on Sunday, July 18, 2004
Released on Saturday, July 17, 2004 at BCUK 2004 Unconvention @ Apres Bar, Summerrow in Birmingham, England Controlled Releases.

Too many books! I think some of mine got picked up...should do wonders for my releasing & catching figures :)

Journal Entry 4 by tehuti from Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, July 18, 2004
I've heard so much about this series, I had to give it a go, so picked up the two I saw at the Unconvention.

Journal Entry 5 by tehuti from Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, July 29, 2004
Having read the first and third books of these series, I don't think I'll be coming back for more. They are an average sort of read, mildly amusing with some good characterisations of African life, but in my opinion have been drastically over-hyped.

This book is now continuing its journey as a book relay.

Journal Entry 6 by Voyage555 from Staten Island, New York USA on Saturday, August 14, 2004
This book found its way to NY:-) Thank you tehuti! I'll post more after i'll read the book