Four Stories

by Alan Bennett | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 1861978197 Global Overview for this book
Registered by kinedi of Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on 1/30/2017
Journal Entry 1 by kinedi from Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Monday, January 30, 2017
Like everything Bennett does, these stories are playful, witty and painfully observant of ordinary people's foibles. They all have brilliant twists, are immensely entertaining and highly moral. And all are modern classics.

The Laying on of Hands

The painfully observant account of a memorial service for a masseur to the famous.

The Clothes They Stood Up In

The comic tale of an elderly couple's trials after their flat is stripped completely bare.

Father! Father! Burning Bright

The savage satire on the family of a dying man who rules over them from his hospital bed.

The Lady in the Van

The true story of the eccentric old woman who is invited to live in a homeowner's front garden. She stays there, in her van, for fifteen years. The home is Alan Bennett's. It became a West End hit and a major film, starring Maggie Smith.

Journal Entry 2 by kinedi at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 22, 2017
This collection of short-ish stories once again proves why I love Alan Bennett so much. His observations are just so spot on and his wonderful witty writing style is just so captivating ! Loved '' The clothes they stood up in'' and '' The Laying of Hands'' best !

Journal Entry 3 by kinedi at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 02, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (12/2/2020 UTC) at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom

On it's way to North Yorkshire - so close yet so far in a different tier so no visits for a while again

Journal Entry 4 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, December 04, 2020
Thank you very much, kinedi, for the lovely package of books and Christmas Greetings the postman brought me. Your card was one of the first to arrive and is already on display. I would say that they're up for all to see but I'm not expecting anyone who doesn't live here to enter the house until the Spring, long after the Christmas decorations will have been taken down again! In the meantime, OldKnees and I are enjoying the colour and light we've surrounded ourselves with!

Although I've previously both read and watched the film version of The Lady in the Van, the other three stories are new to me and I look forward to experiencing more of this wonderful author's output. Thank you!

Journal Entry 5 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, December 14, 2020
Some interesting stories, thank you