Nutty As a Fruitcake (Bed-And-Breakfast Mysteries)

by Mary Daheim | Mystery & Thrillers | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingBOOKWORMINUSALLwing on 1/29/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingBOOKWORMINUSALLwing on Sunday, January 29, 2017
Friends of the Library Purchase for Bookcrossing.

Cover image for this copy is shown to the left in this Journal Entry.

HAPPY READING! : )

Multiple Challenge Surprise RABCK to Winner of Happy Day Sweeps, who loves a good mystery, especially if it includes a recipe. ; ) This Bed-and-Breakfast Mystery has a recipe for Aunt Deb's Dark Fruitcake on the inside of the front cover and is released for:

1. FRUITCAKE in basket for WK 26: Food on Cover...NJABBIC 3ndQ (Secretariat) https://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/23/543292

2. FRUITCAKE (Title) and (Cover Pic) for Christmas in July (booklady331) https://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/23/542523
---------------------------------------------------------------

The BCer receiving this loves a good mystery, especially if it includes a recipe. ; ) This Bed-and-Breakfast Mystery has this recipe for Aunt Deb's Dark Fruitcake on the inside of the front cover...hopefully not a "Doorstop" when baked!!! ; D

Aunt Deb's Dark Fruitcake

2 cups candied pineapple, cut in strips
3 oz bottle maraschino cherries
1/4 lb candied lemon peel, minced
1/4 lb candied orange peel, minced

Prepare fruit as directed.
Sift flour with other dry ingredients, except sugar.
Cream shortening and sugar until fluffy.
Beat eggs and add to the sugar mixture
Add dry ingredients mixed with fruit, alternating with fruit juice, beating until smooth after each addition.
Add liquor and mix well.
Line 6 loaf pans with 2-3 thicknesses of heavy brown paper, greasing top layer well. Pour batter into pans, making sure it's spread evenly into corners.
Bake at 300 degrees for 2-1/2 hours.
Cool in pans, and when cool, turn out and remove paper.
Wrap in cheesecloth which has been dipped in whiskey or brandy.
Wrap aluminum foil and store in box or crock with tight cover.
Let stand for at least four weeks. Every seven days, open foil and add a bit more liquor to individual loaves.
If you add enough, no one will notice that there aren't any nuts. If you add too much, no one will notice anything.

HAHAHAHAHA!!! : D Thought those last lines in the recipe were pretty funny, and thought I'd share this here...now, because if anyone wants to make it to see how it comes out, “Christmas in July” seems like a good time, as it has a LOT of ingredients, is a LOT of WORK, and needs to soak up the “sauce” for weeks before you know if you have six doorstops, or six loaves of delicious fruitcake for Christmas Gifts!!! ; D

Journal Entry 2 by wingBOOKWORMINUSALLwing at Willowbrook, Illinois USA on Monday, July 03, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (7/3/2017 UTC) at Willowbrook, Illinois USA

TO THE FINDER OF THIS BOOK:

HELLO...WELCOME to BOOKCROSSING...and CONGRATULATIONS!

You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BOOKCROSSING http://www.bookcrossing.com/about. Maybe you'll even decide to make a journal entry on this book, possibly listing me...BOOKWORMINUSALL...as the one who referred you. We want to make the whole world a library! You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (it's free!). Feel free to read and keep this book, or to pass it on to a friend, or even set it free "in the wild" for someone else to find as you did. If you do choose to join and journal, then you can watch the book as it travels - you'll be alerted by email each time someone makes another journal entry. It's all confidential (you're known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your email address), it's fun, it's free, and it's spam-free...all thanks to our dedicated totally AWESOME BOOKCROSSING MANAGEMENT http://www.bookcrossing.com/management, and SUPPORT TEAMS!!!

HAPPY READING!

Journal Entry 3 by ILuvToRead2 at Chicago, Illinois USA on Tuesday, July 11, 2017
Christmas in July! Thank you so much for the book, seeds, gardening gloves, and bookmark. I love it all! I've actually read this book before, but I love to do Christmas releases, so I will release or pass it on to another bookcrosser. Thanks for everything!

Released 4 mos ago (7/8/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, Hillgrove Ave & Poplar Pl in La Grange, Illinois USA

Christmas in July!

I actually read another copy of this book a long time ago, so I am releasing this one into the wild. Enjoy!