A Judgement In Stone.

by Ruth' 'Rendell | Mystery & Thrillers | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingPlum-crazywing of Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 4/20/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, April 20, 2017
"Eunice Parchman killed the Coverdale family because she could not read or write" & from that opening line I was hooked - in fact I spent a whole morning just reading this- I couldn't put it down!

Eunice is an odd character, her fear of people knowing of her illiteracy being the main cause of her strangeness. When she takes a job as housekeeper to the Coverdale family no-one could have predicted that her inability to read & write would result in a violent shooting that would leave four members of the family dead. A tragedy that may have also been avoided if Eunice had not been befriended by Joan, a member of a curious religious sect called the Epiphany People.

Obviously from the start of the book you know Eunice has committed the crime but the build up to how it occurs is gripping &, as the cover blurb says, Rendell's "psychological insights are so absorbing"
All-in-all an excellent read which felt like I was reading an account of an actual crime. "It will be an amazing achievement if she ever writes a better book" said the Daily Express of this little gem which was actually written back in the 1970's.

Released 1 yr ago (6/7/2018 UTC) at Kirroughtree Visitor Centre in Newton Stewart, Scotland United Kingdom

Left in a leaflet dispenser in the visitors centre.

Released as part of the 2018 MOVIE BOOKS Challenge (#18)

Read and Release at BookCrossing.com...

Congratulations - You've found a travelling book !

You can help us to track this book's travels by taking a moment to make a journal entry - let us know where you found it, what you thought of it or where it's going next - write as much or as little as you like! You can remain anonymous or why not join us? If you decide to join us you will receive an alert every time someone new journals the book, helping you to follow it's travels as it meets new readers.

Enjoy the book!

(If you do decide to join Bookcrossing, please consider putting me,
Plum-crazy, as your referring member - thank you)