The Hare that Hides Within

Every book has a story.
by Anne Cluysenaar | Poetry |
ISBN: 1902638387 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingCordelia-annewing of Someplace, Georgia USA on 11/3/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingCordelia-annewing from Someplace, Georgia USA on Friday, November 03, 2017
I love the legend of St. Melangell, daughter of an Irish prince, who protected a hare from Prince Brochwel, who was hunting when he came upon the praying girl. The hare had taken refuge beneath Melangell's skirt. The prince was moved by Melangell's pure devotion and let the hare live. He endowed St. Melangell's well in Wales as a place of contemplative religious community. Still, somehow these contemporary Welch poems failed to reach into my understanding of this pious legend. That of course could be my fault. The hare within me had to leap away from the Anglican establishment that is trying very hard to adapt "Celtic" Christianity to something post-Christian. Still, I am glad that this anthology exists and hope it will be more comprehensible to its next readers.

Journal Entry 2 by wingCordelia-annewing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Released 9 mos ago (10/17/2018 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

This book is going out to a friend who enjoys bookcrossing theme releases and challenges. It roughly fits with a wish list book I am sending her way.

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, October 22, 2018
The box arrived today; thanks so much, for the wishlist book and for the bonus books as well! This collection of poems looks intriguing, the more so as I wasn't familiar with the legend of St. Melangell.

Later: I enjoyed these very much indeed, and was pleased to have learned more about Melangell and her hare. Among my favorites: Ruth Bidgood's "Hare at Pennant", which includes among other things many of the country-folk names for hares, such as dew-fellow, maze-maker, and cat-of-the-furze. And there's Gwyneth Lewis' "Melangell Variations," which start with the original story and end with "prayer for modern times": "...Our Lady of the Traffic Cones give us this day our dose of speed along the bypass..."

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Benson Park in Hudson, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Released 8 mos ago (11/22/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, Benson Park in Hudson, New Hampshire USA

I left the book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***