Station Eleven

by Emily St. John Mandel | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by BookyMcBooks of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 1/22/2017
Journal Entry 1 by BookyMcBooks from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, January 22, 2017
On the surface it is a post-apocalyptic story, but it really is much more than that. This was by far my favourite book that I read in the last year.

Absolutely beautiful. Highly recommended.

From Chapters.ca:

"One snowy night a famous Hollywood actor slumps over and dies onstage during a production of King Lear. Hours later, the world as we know it begins to dissolve. Moving back and forth in time-from the actor's early days as a film star to fifteen years in the future, when a theatre troupe known as the Travelling Symphony roams the wasteland of what remains-this suspenseful, elegiac, spellbinding novel charts the strange twists of fate that connect five people: the actor, the man who tried to save him, the actor's first wife, his oldest friend, and a young actress with the Traveling Symphony, caught in the crosshairs of a dangerous self-proclaimed prophet. Sometimes terrifying, sometimes tender, Station Eleven tells a story about the relationships that sustain us, the ephemeral nature of fame and the beauty of the world as we know it."

Journal Entry 2 by BookyMcBooks at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, January 22, 2017

Released 3 yrs ago (1/22/2017 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the Calgary BookCrossing wrapped book exchange.

Journal Entry 3 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 08, 2017
Forgot to journal earlier.

Journal Entry 4 by megami-no-ushi at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 13, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (1/13/2018 UTC) at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to the January meeting: Eleven on top is the theme, so I've been saving this one to read for it!

This was a great book that bucks the post-apocalyptic trend in that it was much more focused on a travelling symphony and Shakespeare troupe bringing culture back to the remaining human settlements. Because survival is insufficient.

To the finder:

Journal Entry 5 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, January 14, 2018
Picked up this book at the Calgary BookCrossing January meet-up. Post-apocalyptic setting ? I'm in!

Journal Entry 6 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, February 05, 2018
This book wasn't what I was expecting. Going off the blurb, you kind of expect a story about a group surviving in a post-apocalyptic world, and there is some of that, but it's more about people and how do you keep going when things meet their end? So often you see scenarios where the world ended because of zombies, but you don't get that here, so everything is sort of haunted by the remains of what came before.

The one thing that bugged me was the author's writing style. It's perfectly fine like 95% of the time, but there are times when sentences are just fragments. They're not broken fragments of thoughts, but disjointed phrases that should have been a complete sentence. I guess it's just the grammar nerd in me.

Oh, and speaking of being a nerd, I need to be a pedantic geek for a moment. The blurb says that the quote, "Survival is inefficient", is from Star Trek. In actuality, it's a quote from a Star Trek: Voyager episode. These are two completely different shows! I read Star Trek and thought of the original series. I'm sure this won't bug anyone else, and the source of the quote is explained in the book so there is no confusion, but whoever did the blurb probably thought that one Star Trek show is no different than the other. Nope. Anyway, rant done.

Journal Entry 7 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 10, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (2/10/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Passing on this book to the next reader at the Calgary BookCrossing February meet-up.

Journal Entry 8 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, February 19, 2018
Picked up at the February meeting. We had 8 Bookcrossers in attendance and for once I brought home less books than I brought. Yeah me!!!!

Journal Entry 9 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 09, 2019

Released 10 mos ago (3/9/2019 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

With another baby on the way, I have to purge my shelf a bit. I am returning this one to the group where it can find a new reader.

Journal Entry 10 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, March 11, 2019
Picked up at the BC Meetup.

Journal Entry 11 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 11, 2019
I really enjoyed this take on the post-apocalyptic world. Following the characters as the story moved before and after the epidemic was suspenseful. I had a couple of quibbles about logistics after the collapse but it is fiction after all.

Journal Entry 12 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 11, 2019

Released 8 mos ago (5/11/2019 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Book taken to the Calgary BC Meetup.

Journal Entry 13 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, May 14, 2019
Picked up at the May meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers.

Journal Entry 14 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, September 14, 2019

Released 4 mos ago (9/14/2019 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Released at the September meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers, held at Cravings Market Restaurant.

Journal Entry 15 by AnnaDevika at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, September 15, 2019
Sounds intriguing!

Journal Entry 16 by AnnaDevika at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, December 15, 2019
I really enjoyed this book - I loved the writing style and story, and the way it moves between time.

Journal Entry 17 by AnnaDevika at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 11, 2020

Released 2 wks ago (1/11/2020 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Controlled release at local meet up.

Journal Entry 18 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, January 14, 2020
Picked up at the January meeting, adding to my TBR pile.