Lunch in Paris: A Love Story, with Recipes

by Elizabeth Bard | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by MoomaOma of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 1/22/2017
Journal Entry 1 by MoomaOma from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, January 22, 2017
Excerpt from Amazon:

In Paris for a weekend visit, Elizabeth Bard sat down to lunch with a handsome Frenchman--and never went home again.

Was it love at first sight? Or was it the way her knife slid effortlessly through her pavé au poivre, the steak's pink juices puddling into the buttery pepper sauce? LUNCH IN PARIS is a memoir about a young American woman caught up in two passionate love affairs--one with her new beau, Gwendal, the other with French cuisine. Packing her bags for a new life in the world's most romantic city, Elizabeth is plunged into a world of bustling open-air markets, hipster bistros, and size 2 femmes fatales. She learns to gut her first fish (with a little help from Jane Austen), soothe pangs of homesickness (with the rise of a chocolate soufflé) and develops a crush on her local butcher (who bears a striking resemblance to Matt Dillon). Elizabeth finds that the deeper she immerses herself in the world of French cuisine, the more Paris itself begins to translate. French culture, she discovers, is not unlike a well-ripened cheese-there may be a crusty exterior, until you cut through to the melting, piquant heart.

Peppered with mouth-watering recipes for summer ratatouille, swordfish tartare and molten chocolate cakes, Lunch in Paris is a story of falling in love, redefining success and discovering what it truly means to be at home. In the delicious tradition of memoirs like A Year in Provence and Under the Tuscan Sun, this book is the perfect treat for anyone who has dreamed that lunch in Paris could change their life.

Journal Entry 2 by MoomaOma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, January 22, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (1/22/2017 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Enjoyed this book, it flowed well and was an easy read. I was a bit leery about reading a memoir of a 20 something year old but surprising I found it relatable (the adjustment to living in a new city/country). The recipes were an added bonus and the author made French cooking seem easy.

This is my gift to the Calgary BookCrossing wrapped gift exchange. It has a great first sentence.

Journal Entry 3 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, January 23, 2017
Brought back to me from the wrapped book exchange - which I couldn't attend but had sent a book along to!

The first sentence which was on the outside of the wrapping paper was: "I slept with my French husband halfway through our first date."

Journal Entry 4 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 14, 2018
This was a very interesting read, with some interesting insights into the French culture. I can see where some of the culture-shock challenges the author hard would not be an issue for me, and where I would have the same issue as her. I enjoyed her writing, and the story of her families. It was fun to have the recipes included.

Thanks for the interesting read.

Journal Entry 5 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, July 15, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (7/14/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to get together!

Journal Entry 6 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, August 11, 2018
Picked up at the July meeting!

Journal Entry 7 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 08, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (6/8/2019 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to the June meeting!

To the finder:

Journal Entry 8 by crossingguardma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 08, 2019
Safely in my hands.