Whistle!, Volume 1

by Daisuke Higuchi | Graphic Novels |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/15/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, January 15, 2017
I got this fair-condition ex-library softcover during a recent binge at Better World Books. I'd read Volume 16 a while back, and thought it would be interesting to start at the beginning!

It starts out on the wacky side, with young Sho having moved in with his older brother, who's apparently working as a host - he mistakes Sho for a customer when he first wakes up, to the embarrassment of both! Turns out the reason Sho wanted to live with him was to get away from his old school, where he was too short to be allowed on the soccer team. He's still just as short, though...

But his height isn't the problem - it's that the folks at the new school have assumed he's a soccer star, so of COURSE he's on the team! But when someone sees through him he's so embarrassed he wants to quit again - cue big brother with some helpful advice. Nice to see some warm family support in situations like this.

We do get to see a lot of intense soccer, plus some training montages - and Sho's attempts to join a team, or failing that to start one of his own. Since the series continues, he's going to play somehow!

[There's a TV Tropes page on the series and the anime adaptation.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Pickity Place in Mason, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, August 26, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (8/26/2017 UTC) at Pickity Place in Mason, New Hampshire USA

I plan to leave this book on a bench at the charming Pickity Place herb garden and restaurant when stopping by for lunch. Hope the finder enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2017 One Word Title release challenge. ***

*** Released for the 2017 TV Series release challenge. ***

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Mason, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, August 30, 2017
This is not really a book for me, but I wish to help it on it's journey.