Blackboard: A Personal History of the Classroom

by Lewis Buzbee | Nonfiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/15/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, January 15, 2017
I got this good-condition little hardcover during a recent binge at Better World Books. I like "biographies of things", and this history themed around blackboards and classrooms, from the author of The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop sounded interesting.

And so it is - though I was a bit disappointed to find that the "blackboard" portion is concentrated in a single chapter, with other chapters dealing with different aspects of the author's memories of schoolrooms. I did get lots of nostalgic flashes, as much of his experience matched my own, though I also realized how things have changed since then; few kids today will have seen a blackboard, and many may not even use whiteboards now! Handwriting practice also seems to be out these days... not that I was ever any good at it {wry grin}.

The blackboard chapter was, for me, worth the price of admission, with its history of blackboards and chalk, and its pop-culture references - including a nod to "The Simpsons," which often features bad-boy Bart doing write-X-500-times punishment-writing on the blackboard ("Blackboarding is not a form of torture").

Other chapters touch on typical classroom activities, the contents of the author's desk when in grade school, and more - and the book concludes with a call to action, to help improve modern schools and provide decent working conditions (and wages!) for teachers, as a failure in early education can spell doom...

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, May 26, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (5/29/2018 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this to the Biographies of Things bookbox, which will be on its way to its next stop after the Memorial Day weekend. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by winginnaewing at Aurora, Colorado USA on Tuesday, July 03, 2018
This book made a short stop in Colorado before continuing on in the Biography of Things bookbox (still traveling in honor of maryzee

Journal Entry 4 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Saturday, November 03, 2018
Dagnabit, another book from the Biographies of Things book box that I want to read! It looks great and the fact that I loved The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop by the same author is icing on the cake.

Journal Entry 5 by wing6of8wing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Friday, May 10, 2019

Released 8 mos ago (5/10/2019 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

This book is now in the Biographies of Things book box started by MaryZee and continued in her memory.

Journal Entry 6 by Dove-i-Libri at -- Mailed, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Sunday, June 23, 2019

Released 7 mos ago (6/24/2019 UTC) at -- Mailed, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Rec'd as part of MaryZee's Biographies of Things Book Box (Link) and I kept it to share with a very special teacher I know!

Released as part of Booklady331's KTM Challenge (Link)

☺ Happy Traveling, Book! Happy Reading, Cousin ☺