Word Freak: Heartbreak, Triumph, Genius, and Obsession in the World of Competitive Scrabble Players

by Stefan Fatsis | Biographies & Memoirs |
ISBN: 0142002267 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/15/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, January 15, 2017
I found this fair-condition softcover at a local Annie's Book Stop. I've enjoyed many a game of Scrabble in my time, though I never wanted to delve into the world of serious competition - but I'll gladly read about it!

Turns out I *really* don't want to delve into the world of serious competition - it sounds pretty bleak, as described here. At first the author seems to be having fun, acquiring a wider vocabulary and some rulesmanship, and he does meet some fascinating people - but once we begin to see how those individuals focus on the game to the point of doing serious harm to other aspects of their lives, I found myself shying away.

I appreciated some of the gameboard illustrations - it never hurts to pick up ideas for clever Scrabble words - and I liked the bit where the players were all volleying anagrams at each other. But I found the book less and less involving as the competitive streak increased. My favorite part was on the history of the game itself, its development, marketing, expansion, house rules...

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (2/28/2017 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this book to the Biographies of Things bookbox, which will be on its way to its next stop soon. Hope someone enjoys it!

*** Released for the 2017 Heads Shoulders Knees Toes release challenge, for the embedded "heart" in the title. ***

Journal Entry 3 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Utah USA on Monday, August 14, 2017
In the book box when it came back to me.

Journal Entry 4 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Maryland USA on Saturday, February 10, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (2/10/2018 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Maryland USA

This book is back in the Biographies of Things book box and on its way to Florida.

Journal Entry 5 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Thursday, April 19, 2018
Taking out of MaryZee's Biography of things. Don't know why I picked this book as I never have enjoyed Scrabble. But I will give it a try.