Summerlong

by Peter S. Beagle | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by southbos3279 of Boston, Massachusetts USA on 1/10/2017
Journal Entry 1 by southbos3279 from Boston, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, January 10, 2017
I've read many of Beagle's early books, which I enjoyed. Not having read him in a long time, I thought I'd give this new novel a try. But I had to push my way through it. I didn't much care for any of the characters. Lioness Lazeos, who was to transform the lives of these island people, has only a minor role in this novel. I hoped something about the end would make me rethink the book. But it did not. Not a horrible novel, but one that didn't stay with me. If I recommend a Beagle novel, I'd strongly suggest an early work like The Last Unicorn, or A Fine and Private Place.

Journal Entry 2 by southbos3279 at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (1/11/2017 UTC) at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

Being released at the January 2017 Boston Bookcrossing Meetup, Harvard Square, Cambridge, MA

Journal Entry 3 by amyem at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, January 11, 2017
Picked up at January 2017 Boston Bookcrossers Meetup. I read The Last Unicorn a million years ago so I'm intrigued to see what else he can do.

Journal Entry 4 by amyem at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, October 18, 2018
After just finishing Her Fearful Symmetry, I was not really looking for another supernatural novel but I picked this one up not knowing that! I'm somewhat mixed about it. The story was interesting but there was something way too matter of fact about the way people react to Lioness as if everything about her is totally normal. Even when she is clearly the source of the off things happening. I think I would have enjoyed it more if it were more allegorical than dropping a few Greek gods into the modern world. I also felt that there was a manipulation of the Persephone myth to fit the storyline. But, I kept reading, it was well-written most of the time and, even if I didn't have any real sense of why it ended the way it did, I still enjoyed it overall.

Journal Entry 5 by amyem at CfA Book Sharing Shelf in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, October 18, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (10/18/2018 UTC) at CfA Book Sharing Shelf in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

Planned for a stay at the work book sharing shelf

Journal Entry 6 by amyem at Panera Bread - Porter Sq in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, March 23, 2019

Released 4 wks ago (3/23/2019 UTC) at Panera Bread - Porter Sq in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

Planned for release at March 2019 Boston Bookcrossers Meetup.

Journal Entry 7 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, March 23, 2019
I claimed this softcover at this afternoon's BookCrossing Meetup at the Porter Square Panera in Cambridge MA. I enjoyed some of Beagle's early work but haven't read anything recent; this one looks interesting!