corner corner My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry

My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry
by Fredrik Backman | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingbossmarewing of Casper, Wyoming USA on 1/4/2017

status (set by emmejo): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingbossmarewing from Casper, Wyoming USA on Wednesday, January 04, 2017

Elsa is seven yard old & different. Her grandmother is seventy seven years old and crazy-as in standing on the balcony firing paintball guns at strangers crazy. She is also Elsa's best and only friend.
I got about halfway through this book and couldn't finish it.

Journal Entry 2 by wingbossmarewing at Casper, Wyoming USA on Friday, March 03, 2017

Released 8 mos ago (3/2/2017 UTC) at Casper, Wyoming USA

Mailed to spoiledrotten as a RABCK. On it's way!
So glad you liked it.

Journal Entry 3 by spoiledrotten at Waldwick, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Thanks so much for this wishlist RABCK I really appreciate it.

Journal Entry 4 by spoiledrotten at Waldwick, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Elsa is seven years old with no friends except for a very excentric grandmother who lives in the same building. Granny is trying to teach Elsa that it is okay to be different through fairy tales that she makes up. When granny dies Elsa is devastated. She is left with a job of delivering letters to the other quirky residents of her building, written by her grandmother, apologizing to them for things done in the past. Elsa gets a deeper understanding of life and the importance of being true to yourself.
This book is beautifully written and will make you laugh, cry and think about life and those around us. The epilogue will tear at your heartstrings.
I will pass this around and then make it available.
Thanks so much for sharing this book with me.

Journal Entry 5 by spoiledrotten at Waldwick, New Jersey USA on Thursday, July 20, 2017

I have passed this wonderful story around, some liked it others did not, and it is now available.

Journal Entry 6 by spoiledrotten at Waldwick, New Jersey USA on Friday, July 28, 2017

On reserve for emmejo as part of the wishlist tag game.

Journal Entry 7 by spoiledrotten at Trumansburg, New York USA on Saturday, July 29, 2017

Released 3 mos ago (7/29/2017 UTC) at Trumansburg, New York USA

Sent to emmejo for the wishlist tag game. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Tuesday, August 01, 2017

This arrived today. Thank you so much!

Journal Entry 9 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Friday, November 10, 2017

I found this a very interesting tale, but could definitely see it not being everyone's cup of tea. It definitely doesn't feel "realistic" in terms of events and character interactions, and sometimes the manipulation seemed a little too obvious, but it manages to convey intensely the emotions the reader is meant to feel. In this, way it goes very well with the main concept of understanding and learning about the world through sharing stories. I found a number of characters interesting, although I eventually got tired of some of the revelations that everyone is related to/closely involved with everyone else. It stopped feeling like a plot twist and started to seem like an overly-preachy "everyone is connected, everyone has a good side" morality lesson. Again, not out of step for the story, but not something everyone enjoys reading.

I sometimes wondered how translation choices affected the story, since there were definitely some points where I had a feeling the scene read a little differently in the original Swedish.

I also enjoyed Elsa's Harry Potter obsession, particularly since I started reading this shortly after going to Wizarding Weekend and having HP on the brain!