Fishbowl: A Novel

by Bradley Somer | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by claws-12 of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 12/30/2016
Journal Entry 1 by claws-12 from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, December 30, 2016
Follow the events leading up to a goldfish's bid for freedom, leaping from a 27th floor apartment balcony.

The novel follows the stories of several of the building's residents and visitors, offering the reader a brief (often humorous, sometimes tragic) glimpse into their lives, intertwining the individual stories between characters, and that of the falling goldfish.

Journal Entry 2 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, January 23, 2017
Lucky me! I chose this from the pile of wrapped books at our annual Christmas brunch.

All the books displayed only their first titles. This one read : "There's a box that contains life and everything else."

Journal Entry 3 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, January 31, 2017
What a novel way to tell a story! As poor Ian, the goldfish, goes head first from the top floor of a balcony, he observes a nano-second of the windows that he passes. (Their stories are already being told in the proceeding chapters.)

Some characters I rooted for, some were villains, but their stories were compelling and the overall narrative was very satisfying!

Thanks for the great gift.

Journal Entry 4 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 11, 2017

Released 3 yrs ago (2/11/2017 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the February meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers held at Cravings Market Restaurant.

Hope this book finds a new reader!

Journal Entry 5 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 08, 2017
Forgot to journal earlier.

Journal Entry 6 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, August 11, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (8/11/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to the August meeting! What a wonderfully put together story - I enjoyed every bit of it!

To the finder:

Journal Entry 7 by Crataegus at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, August 30, 2018
Picked up at this month's Calgary bookcrossing meetup (sorry for the late entry). Seems cute - looking forward to the read!

Journal Entry 8 by Crataegus at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 09, 2019
Loved this book. Focused a lot on the characters and the “boxes” they put themselves in. Also had a very satisfying ending. Spoiler! The fish doesn’t get released into the wild in the end!

Will be shared at today’s Calgary bookcrossing meeting.

Journal Entry 9 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, February 10, 2019
Brought this home from the February meetup at Cravings.

Journal Entry 10 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, January 13, 2020
What an interesting read. All those people living there, some interacting, some not at all (i.e. Claire) but how things evolve and people grow, are challenged to be something more (sometimes too late). The Hermans, Connors, Ian (the fish)who leaps for freedom(???), the Fayes, the Jimenezs, the Garths,the Katies of the world all in this "box" exploring who they are and what they mean to each other. Great holiday read.
P.S. It wasn't until halfway through I noticed the little fish on the side of the page!!

Journal Entry 11 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, February 07, 2020

Released 7 mos ago (2/8/2020 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am taking this to the February meetup at Cravings to pass on to the next reader.

Journal Entry 12 by Mateya_Foster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 08, 2020
Caught at local meetup

Journal Entry 13 by Mateya_Foster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, March 01, 2020
Cute story about an apartment building and all the goings on within. Fun characters all developed differently each with their own story. Fun, light read