corner corner Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and Know

Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and Know
by Alexandra Horowitz | Pets & Animals
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 12/26/2016

status (set by GoryDetails): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, December 26, 2016

I got this good-condition softcover from the Little Free Library in Salem NH while dropping off some books of my own. Looks to be a good examination of the nature of dogs, by an author who's both scientist and dog-lover. Turning her affection for her pets into scientific observation makes for a fascinating book - even to this cat-person!

I appreciated many of her ideas, such as getting down on the floor to observe your house from your pet's point of view, and learning how dogs perceive objects with less of an anthropomorphic lens. And I liked her writing - the style's personal, clear, and informative. Her discussions of a dog's scent-based world vs. humans' rather... inconsistent... attitudes towards fragrances were lots of fun, and her observations include revelations about human behavior as well as that of dogs. Good book!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Legacy Playground in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, February 06, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (2/6/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, Legacy Playground in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes release challenge, for the embedded "side" in the title. ***

*** Released for the 2018 Asian Zodiac Year of the Dog release challenge. ***