The White Tiger

by Aravind Adiga | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 1848871937 Global Overview for this book
Registered by stephjb of Torquay, Devon United Kingdom on 12/14/2016
Journal Entry 1 by stephjb from Torquay, Devon United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 14, 2016
Bought at the Arlington Gets Cajun 2016 festival, a part of which was a book sale selling off stock from the sadly defunct Arlington Village Library

Journal Entry 2 by stephjb at Arlington, East Sussex United Kingdom on Friday, December 16, 2016
I know I read The White Tiger soon after it came out in paperback and my OH bought a copy from Waterstones. It's even got a rating on my Goodreads. Unusually for me though, reading the synopsis brought back absolutely no memories of the story and I didn't have a single deja vu moment throughout this re-reading. I'm not sure what that says about the book. Obviously I got to enjoy it this time around without suddenly realising that I knew how it would all end, but I wonder whether it wil fade from my memory so completely second time around!

For what essentially is a murderer's confession, The White Tiger is very funny. There is frequent dry humour covering all aspects of Indian life from well-known stereotype characters to unexpected scenarios and I liked Balram's voice which is convincing and sympathetically portrayed. Adiga does highlight disturbing moments of extreme poverty, violence and corruption, but the overall lightness of his writing mean these swiftly slip from view, much like Balram's driving past countless homeless beggars in his sealed car. Is this a good thing? From a distant Western reader's point of view, it meant I wasn't distracted by thoughts of needing to Do Something About This, but thinking back now to write this review, the extremes of social station are shocking.

While I certainly don't condone murdering your employer to get ahead, Balram's story leads neatly and understandably to that point, and the previous exaggerations and seemingly outlandish occurrences make his actions seem perfectly natural, all things considered! I didn't like the overarching device of emails to the Chinese premier and found this increasingly irritating as the book progresses, but it crops up mostly only at the beginning of chapters so can be pretty much ignored and I did find The White Tiger to be a very entertaining novel.

Journal Entry 3 by stephjb at Camping Ametlla in L'Ametlla de Mar, Tarragona Spain on Thursday, January 05, 2017

Released 4 yrs ago (1/5/2017 UTC) at Camping Ametlla in L'Ametlla de Mar, Tarragona Spain

On the book exchange shelves in Reception