One Day

by David Nicholls | Other |
Registered by wingPlum-crazywing of Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 12/13/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 13, 2016
I have to say I was a bit dubious about this book before I began, mainly as I remember when the film came out, the trailer seemed to be on constantly & I don't like to be told that I WILL enjoy something. Also, there are soooo many comments in the front praising it, too many to quote....but they are ALL true!

I smiled, I laughed & at one particular moment * gasped so loudly with shock my husband asked me what on earth was the matter! Truly wonderful :o)

*CARE - SPOILER!! Don't highlight before reading the book! You have been warned...

"Then Emma Mayhew dies, and everything that she thought or felt vanishes and is gone forever."

Isn't that just one of the most poignant lines you've ever read? *sniff*

Released 2 yrs ago (12/13/2016 UTC) at "Read it, Swap it, Leave it" Bookring Game, By Post -- Controlled Releases

Added to my "Read It, Swap It, Leave It" Bookring game for Group 2.

Released as part of the D FOR DECEMBER CHALLENGE (#9)

Journal Entry 3 by Cfreckle at Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, January 05, 2017
Chosen as my book to read from the 'Read it, swap it, leave it' bookring.

Journal Entry 4 by Cfreckle at Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 18, 2017
I knew nothing about this book before I read it except what was written on the back cover.

I really enjoyed it. It made me smile and as I had avoided the above spoiler, it made me gasp too!! As I was reading the chapter I did begin to suspect something, but I still imagined it ending with a slightly different outcome.

Thank you for putting this book in the bookring, as I don't think I would have ever read it otherwise.

Journal Entry 5 by Cfreckle at Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, January 20, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (1/21/2017 UTC) at Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom

Putting this book back into the 'Read it, swap it, leave it' bookring.

Journal Entry 6 by Nataliec7 at West Molesey, Surrey United Kingdom on Saturday, February 04, 2017
This is the book I am going to read from the 'Read it, Swap it, Leave It Bookring.

I picked up this book to read as had it sitting on my TBR pile for a long time. I had also been recommended it by a few people so thought I'd give it a go.
This book is about em and Dex, Dex and Em - friends who meet on the day of their graduation -July 15th. This book takes you through the next 20 years of their lives and gives you snapshots of that day. And it's interesting. I kept thinking that they would get together at some point, sometimes wishing it would happen and other times, very against it!
As the years went by, I was struck by what different lives they were living but happy that they maintained a friendship. And then the book got sad! I was lying in bed finishing one last chapter before going to sleep and it just hit me like a train! I struggled to put the book down but had to and started again as soon as I could.
It finished sort of as expected for me and was a great, great book to read.

Journal Entry 7 by Nataliec7 at A Book box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, February 13, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (2/13/2017 UTC) at A Book box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Travelling on in Plum's read it,swap it, leave it bookbox.

Journal Entry 8 by Strigulino at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, June 19, 2017
I'm usually more into the kind of things that have spaceships or people with swords on the front, I'll be brutally honest, but being as this book is about two people from their twenties to their forties and I'm now in my forties, it really is an interesting look at how people change over those years. What they want, how they see themselves and each other.

Two friends embark on a 20-year "will they, won't they" with the interesting conceit that all the action happens on the same day of the year; 15th July. At one point one of them is happy and has all they want, another time it's the other. It really explores what it means to be "happy" - you might be rich and famous with a beautiful girlfriend, but is that really what you need?

As has been mentioned before, there is a nice progression of just dropping in on them every year or so to see where things are with them, but there is one sudden and real OMG moment - you'll know when you get there, I won't spoil it - that really has you examining their relationship and wondering if they might have done things differently in hindsight. But I ended up feeling that things happen as and when they do. A 40-year-old has different wants and fears to a 22-year-old, after all.

So yes, not really my thing but very enjoyable. You really feel like these are two friends of yours from University - you see them doing the right thing, or the wrong thing, but you know why they do what they do. They're human. This book is about human nature and friendships and the trials of adulthood, and it's a good read.

Journal Entry 9 by Silver-Greece at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, July 09, 2017
Chosen as my book to swap from the "Read It, Swap It, Leave It" Bookring game.