The Sun Is Also a Star

by Nicola Yoon | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingbookczukwing of Charleston, South Carolina USA on 12/7/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingbookczukwing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Wednesday, December 07, 2016
During Y'allFest 2016, I had the opportunity to meet Nicola Yoon (not that she'd remember me, she undoubtedly made a bigger impression on me than I did on her.) Shortly thereafter, I was able to snag a ebbed copy of her TheSun is Also a Star from my fabulous Charleston County Public Library, and fell into that segment of the world that loved the book, enough so that when Blogging for Books offered it, I said yes. I rarely reread books within in a year, let alone within months of the initial cracking of covers, but this is one case, perhaps the only, where I reread it within months. My first read was one of those wild "I can't put this book down and need to see what happens" gallops, so my second was a more leisurely revisit, a wandering through the remarkable prose and the New York Day of Natasha and Daniel.

The publisher's blurb actually didn't win me. It was hearing the attendees at Y'allFest that got me to pick the book up. I was intrigued to see how Yoon handled the concept: Two teenagers, with nothing in common except the city they live meet and fall in love on the day one of them is being deported back to Jamaica. Told from alternating viewpoints, the story is endearing, thoughtful, informative, and a very special gift to readers.

I also am fascinated by the cover, so did a bit of research on it. The jacket art is by Dominique Falla, design by Elaine C Damasco. As anyone who has ever done this type of art knows, this in an amazing work and I remain in awe of Dominique Falla's skill as a tactile typographer and string artist. Even had I not felt the way I do about the book, as a lover of art, the book would have grabbed the art lover in me. Check out this video of Falla's work.

Thank you to Blogging for Books, Delacorte Press, Random House Books, Dominique Falla, and of course Nicola Yoon, for bringing this book to me.

Journal Entry 2 by wingbookczukwing at Charleston, South Carolina USA on Wednesday, September 27, 2017
Sending this on as a surprise to my sister.

Journal Entry 3 by wingbookczukwing at Charleston, South Carolina USA on Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (9/27/2017 UTC) at Charleston, South Carolina USA

To the finder of this book:

Welcome to BookCrossing, a unique community of book lovers, sharing their libraries with the world. This book is now yours to read, enjoy, keep or pass on to another reader. The BookCrossing ID, which you entered in the "Enter a BCID" box on the website, is unique to this copy of this book. If you make a journal entry (either anonymously, or as a BookCrossing member) all previous readers of this actual book will be notified by email, and can follow the book as it travels. BookCrossing is free to join, completely confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address) and a heck of a lot of fun. Be on the lookout for other books left in the "Wild"!

If you find yourself liking BookCrossing, there may be local BookCrossers who meet regularly in your area. Come join us! I've been a BookCrosser since 2003 and have found books left by others, discovered new authors to read, watched my books travel all over the world, and discovered a delightful group of readers online through BookCrossing.

Journal Entry 4 by wingbookczukwing at Charleston, South Carolina USA on Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (9/27/2017 UTC) at Charleston, South Carolina USA

To the finder of this book:

Journal Entry 5 by alrescate at Strafford, Missouri USA on Tuesday, October 03, 2017
My sister sent me a box of interesting books! I cannot wait to start reading them!

Journal Entry 6 by alrescate at Strafford, Missouri USA on Saturday, April 21, 2018
I've had this in Mt. Toberead for quite some time...but once I started it I had a hard time putting it down. I was a bit put out by the ending of the book, but the ride was an enjoyable one.

Journal Entry 7 by alrescate at Nearly Famous Deli in Springfield, Missouri USA on Thursday, September 27, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (9/25/2018 UTC) at Nearly Famous Deli in Springfield, Missouri USA