The Man in the High Castle

by Dick Philip K. | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
ISBN: 0241968097 Global Overview for this book
Registered by kizmiaz of Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on 12/7/2016
Journal Entry 1 by kizmiaz from Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Wednesday, December 07, 2016
"It's America in 1962. Slavery is legal once again. The few Jews who still survive hide under assumed names. In San Francisco the I Ching is as common as the Yellow Pages. All because some 20 years earlier the United States lost a war, and is now occupied jointly by Nazi Germany and Japan."

Journal Entry 2 by kizmiaz at Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Wednesday, December 07, 2016
I've heard about this book for a while and have been meaning to read it but never really got around to it until now.
It was not what I was expecting in any way but it was a very interesting read just the same.
I've read a couple of these dystopian books where the Nazis win WWII (Fatherland by Robert Harris and Dominion by CJ Sansom stand out in this category) but this one is quite a different take on the subject, this one takes the personal approach, it does not dwell on ideologies.
The plot and story revolve around a few individuals living in this reality and how they have to deal with it and all the written and unwritten rules that come with it.
Not all the characters are extremely interesting but they are all diverse enough for the reader to have a glimpse of what life is like for them.
As for the Man in the book title he's an author that wrote a book, banned of course, where the Allies won WWII.
This is not a regular Sci-Fi book neither is it just a dystopian book although it is a bit of both. It's a book that will leave you thinking about the possibilities of such a reality but also about the current state of the world and how easily it is to slip into the sort of reality described in the book.
The story deals a lot with the I Ching and its prophecies and according to the author he also used it to decide plot twists while writting the story, I confess that I know little about I Ching so maybe I lost part of the meaning but I think I've grasped the essentials.
This is a book that I recommend.

Journal Entry 3 by kizmiaz at Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Saturday, November 11, 2017
Reserved for an International BRay.

BRay rules:
- I think a month is time enough for you to read this book if you think you won't make it no problem, just let me know so I can post a little warning to the following BC'er, it's all a matter of courtesy;
- Please do not forget to make a JE when you get it and when you send it on to the next, that way we'll all know where the book is;
- There is no limit to people on this BRay, the more the merrier;
- I'll organize this by country so it won't be too pricey for anyone;
- Because life's hard for a lot of us, please feel free to ship by surface mail;
- The last person on the BRay is free to do with the book as he/she pleases, you might even want to help it continuing its journey.

Who's in:

- ladylouve - Portugal
- Cfreckle - UK
- Shahrun - UK
- Femke85 - Sweden
- sedna5213 - Germany
- hyphen8 - USA (ships US)

Journal Entry 4 by kizmiaz at Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, January 08, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (1/8/2018 UTC) at Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal

starting its journey today.

Journal Entry 5 by ladylouve at Lisboa - Benfica, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Tuesday, January 16, 2018
I just got it, thank you!

I'll start it as soon as possible :)

Journal Entry 6 by ladylouve at Lisboa - Benfica, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Friday, January 26, 2018
I enjoyed this a lot! It's a strange and scary book, that leaves a lot of space for thinking over what is real and what is not. It has many philosophical elements in various layers and it's not the most simple read of the author. With immense imagination, Philip K. Dick shows us an alternate world, that is as fascinating as it is scary.

I posted a review (in Portuguese), at my blog: http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/add/206-14317713

Thank you so much for sharing! I will now contact the next person on the list so the book can continue its travel. :)

Journal Entry 7 by Cfreckle at Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 01, 2018
The postman delivered this to me safely this afternoon. Thank you for sending it to me.

I'm just finishing another bookring book so I will start reading this one in the next few days xx

Journal Entry 8 by Cfreckle at Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 02, 2018
I've been really ill this month so unfortunately I didn't manage to read it. I was quite looking forward to it as well, but it just isn't the sort of thing that I could face reading at the moment, and I don't feel I should hang onto a bookring book for too long. I shall try to get hold of a copy again in the future.

Journal Entry 9 by Cfreckle at Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 02, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (3/2/2018 UTC) at Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom

Posting on to shahrun to continue the bookring.

Journal Entry 10 by wingShahrunwing at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Monday, March 05, 2018
This has arrived safely in London. I’m really looking forward to reading it (I love the amazon series). By a bizarre coincidence, the book I’m currently reading is destined for the next-in-line reader of this Ray! Funny how things work out.

Journal Entry 11 by wingShahrunwing at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Friday, March 16, 2018
Big fan of the Amazon series, which is how I heard about the book. Totally disappointed by the book. And I so wanted to love it. It’s pretty much a completely different plot and just I don’t get the book. We loosely follow several groups of characters, mostly with some shared connection. But not really in any way that makes sense. The whole Juliana and Joe business has no purpose? If indeed any of them do. If I’d not seen the tv series I think I would have got even less sense out of it all. I feel cheated that such an interesting idea and plot points just lead nowhere. I’m going to have to read some other reviews and see if I can make any sense of it all.

Journal Entry 12 by wingShahrunwing at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Thursday, March 29, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (3/29/2018 UTC) at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom

Finally got my act together as posting this on (with a couple of others), to carry on The BookRay. Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 13 by wingFemke85wing at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Friday, April 06, 2018
Got the book in the mail today. I will start reading this, as soon as I finish my current book.

Journal Entry 14 by wingFemke85wing at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Thursday, April 19, 2018
I didn’t like this book at all. Luckily it was only 250 pages, so I managed to fight through it. But it felt like a struggle and after a while I started skipping pages.

The book follows the lives of different people in a world where the Germans and Japan won the war. I liked the story-line of Frank Frink and Juliana Frink, but just couldn’t really keep my focus on any of the other characters. Too bad. In general I liked the idea behind the book and it could have been so much better if it was written in a different style.

This book is part of a bookray. I already have the address of the next person on the list and I will drop the book in the mailbox tomorrow.

Journal Entry 15 by wingFemke85wing at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Friday, April 20, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (4/20/2018 UTC) at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden

Dropped it in the post today.

Journal Entry 16 by wingsedna5213wing at Charlottenburg, Berlin Germany on Tuesday, April 24, 2018
The book arrived safely in Berlin and will be read soon. Thanks a lot for sharing kizmiaz and Femke85 for sending it over!

****
I guess I didn't get the point of the book. The idea is very interesting and some parts are fascinating, like the obsession with the oracle. But some things I found extremly stupid, e.g. the planets (yeah...Venus aswell!)are being colonized, but for long distance calls you still need operators???

Journal Entry 17 by wingsedna5213wing at Charlottenburg, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, May 02, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (5/2/2018 UTC) at Charlottenburg, Berlin Germany

The book is now on its way to hyphen8.

Journal Entry 18 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, May 12, 2018
Arrived today with a bunch of lovely stamps for my mother - thank you very much sedna5213!

I see that this book has had mixed reviews: I'll give it a try and see how it goes...

(Larger photo here.)