The Girl with Seven Names

by Hyeonseo Lee | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by AlterEgoZoe of Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on 12/7/2016
Journal Entry 1 by AlterEgoZoe from Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, December 07, 2016
To share.

An extraordinary insight into life under one of the world’s most ruthless and secretive dictatorships – and the story of one woman’s terrifying struggle to avoid capture/repatriation and guide her family to freedom.

As a child growing up in North Korea, Hyeonseo Lee was one of millions trapped by a secretive and brutal communist regime. Her home on the border with China gave her some exposure to the world beyond the confines of the Hermit Kingdom and, as the famine of the 1990s struck, she began to wonder, question and to realise that she had been brainwashed her entire life. Given the repression, poverty and starvation she witnessed surely her country could not be, as she had been told “the best on the planet”?

Aged seventeen, she decided to escape North Korea. She could not have imagined that it would be twelve years before she was reunited with her family.

Journal Entry 2 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, August 04, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (8/3/2017 UTC) at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA

Released in my Far East bookbox.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Sunday, October 15, 2017
This book looks very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 4 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, October 10, 2018
I very much enjoyed Lee's memoir, of her childhood in North Korea, and her subsequent exile in China and South Korea. I don't quite know if "escape" is the right word though. It feels more like she as a teenager wanted to explore and see the world a bit and somehow found out that it was too dangerous to go home, instead of having a clear mind to escape something bad. On the other hand, being brain washed into thinking that she lived in a great country and with nothing to compare to, she won't have known or thought of escaping to a better place.

I really admire her for being so resourceful, determined, clever and strong.

One really funny moment - one day her mom called excitedly, "I've got a few kilos of ice" and wondered if Lee had connections in China to sell it. I laughed out loud at that. A mother turning her daughter into a drug dealer!! But then, in a country where owning a k-pop CD is illegal, wearing pants is an offense, and a speck of dust on Kim's portrait can get you in trouble, well, I guess the rules and standards are a bit different.

Journal Entry 5 by Macaufan at Miami, Florida USA on Tuesday, October 30, 2018
This book gives us a glimpse of the hardship inside North Korea. Now I know Trump is not the worst. LOL... I admire how the author managed to escape and forge a path of success through it all.