Small Island

by Andrea Levy | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 075530750x Global Overview for this book
Registered by earthcaroleanne of Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on 11/23/2017
Journal Entry 1 by earthcaroleanne from Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, November 23, 2017
Welcome to BookCrossing!

Thank you for picking up this book. If you’re new to BookCrossing and find this book and this site (www.bookcrossing.com), please make a journal entry to let me know that this book has found a good home with you. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join.

I hope you'll join BookCrossing (doesn't cost anything to join!) and if you do, please consider using me, earthcaroleanne, as your referring member. When you’ve finished reading this book and are ready to send it on its way again, make a journal entry if you are giving or sending this book to a known person, or a release note if you are leaving it “in the wild” again for anyone to catch. Then watch its journey. You’ll be alerted by e mail each time someone makes another journal entry. And it’s confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free.

Happy BookCrossings!

Journal Entry 2 by earthcaroleanne at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, November 23, 2017
It is 1948, and England is recovering from a war. But at 21 Nevern Street, London, the conflict has only just begun. Queenie Bligh's neighbours do not approve when she agrees to take in Jamaican lodgers, but with her husband, Bernard, not back from the war, what else can she do? Gilbert Joseph was one of the several thousand Jamaican men who joined the RAF to fight against Hitler. Returning to England as a civilian he finds himself treated very differently, Gilbert's wife Hortense, too, had longed to leave Jamaica and start a better life in England. But when she joins him she is shocked to find London shabby, decrepit and far from the city of her dreams. Even Gilbert is not the man she thought he was. Small Island explores a point in England's past when the country began to change. In this delicately wrought and profoundly moving novel, Andrea Levy handles the weighty themes of empire, prejudice, war and love with a superb lightness of touch and generosity of spirit.

This has taken me months to read – I put it aside twice but I’m glad I’ve finished it. It was quite slow in the first half and I enjoyed it more from Bernard’s war story onwards. I’m really not sure how to describe how I felt about this book and am struggling to write a review. I tried looking at other reviews to see if I agreed with anyone but found most people on amazon were just repeating the story.

Journal Entry 3 by earthcaroleanne at Kilburn, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Friday, August 31, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (9/1/2018 UTC) at Kilburn, Derbyshire United Kingdom

Adding to my 10th Bookiversary bookbox.

Journal Entry 4 by wingmrsmontaguewing at Kilburn, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 12, 2018
Received from earthcaroleanne as part of her 10th BookCrossing anniversary celebrations! Many thanks!

Journal Entry 5 by wingmrsmontaguewing at Royal Derby Hospital in Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Monday, February 04, 2019

Released 7 mos ago (2/4/2019 UTC) at Royal Derby Hospital in Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom

Welcome to BookCrossing - the act of releasing and catching books and spreading our love of reading! It's addictive, fun and spam free!
- If you can, please register when and where you found this book. Using the BCID number from the BookCrossing label inside the front cover, log on to the site, then follow the instructions to make a brief journal entry. The person who released the book will be happy to know it's in safe hands!
- You can then read it if you wish. We'd be most grateful if you could leave it somewhere else for someone else to find afterwards.
You don't have to sign up to BookCrossing- your entry will just appear as an 'Anonymous Finder'. If you do join: please consider putting me, mrsmontague, as your referring member. Enjoy!