Mila 18

by Leon Uris | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingperryfranwing of Elk Grove, California USA on 12/6/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Tuesday, December 06, 2016

Mila 18
by Leon Uris

It was a time of crisis, a time of tragedy and a time of transcendent courage and determination. Leon Uris's novel is set in the midst of the ghetto uprising that defied Nazi tyranny, as the Jews of Warsaw boldly met Wehrmacht tanks with homemade weapons and bare fists. Here, painted on a canvas as broad as its subject matter, is the compelling story of one of the most heroic struggles of modern times.

Journal Entry 2 by wingperryfranwing at North Ogden, Utah USA on Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Very powerful novel about the Warsaw Ghetto and the Jewish Uprising there during WWII. I've read quite a bit about the Holocaust but this is the first novel I've read about the Warsaw Ghetto and the courageous fighters who faced the Nazis with limited weapons including homemade bombs and their bare hands. This novel by Uris was sweeping in scope telling the story of Poland and Warsaw before the German invasion in 1939 and through the horrors of the ghetto. The novel focuses on a group of people including Jews, Polish non-Jews, and Germans. The Jewish characters and the Poles who helped them were very believable and Uris’ descriptions made me feel their pain as they fought their oppressors. The German characters were sufficiently evil and there was no question that I despised them and everything they stood for. Every time I read something about the Holocaust, I can't believe how man can be so inhumane towards man!

This novel was written in 1961 and some of the first part of the novel was a little soap-operaish, in line with other novels of the time like Harold Robbins and Irving Wallace. But overall, I would definitely recommend this one. I have read QBVII by Uris which I would also recommend and I most definitely will be reading more of his work.

8/6/18: Including this in the ABC Authors Book Rings - US version - Letter U. Hope someone will enjoy this one.

Journal Entry 3 by wingSouthernfryedwing at Lexington, South Carolina USA on Wednesday, August 22, 2018
The "U" books arrived today. This one will most likely be wild released in a little free library soon.

Journal Entry 4 by wingSouthernfryedwing at Crossroads Cafe LFL Charter # 82794 in Leesville, South Carolina USA on Saturday, September 01, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (9/1/2018 UTC) at Crossroads Cafe LFL Charter # 82794 in Leesville, South Carolina USA

left on the shelf