A Beautiful Blue Death (Charles Lenox Mysteries)

by Charles Finch | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/9/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, January 09, 2017
I got this slightly-battered softcover from the charity-sale shelves at a local Hannaford's. It looked promising - a Victorian-era mystery featuring an amateur detective with a faithful butler and a long-time-friend next-door-neighbor with whom he's tentatively in love. But while there were plenty of nice touches, I found the characters rather flat, with the author doing a lot more "telling" than "showing" re their traits and motivations. There's the obstructive Scotland Yard man - who turns out not to be all that obstructive; the brother who "rarely" visits, yet is on the scene an awful lot; the surgeon-friend whose troubled marriage has mysteriously become untroubled for no reason we can see; that, and many more items seem to be presented to add color to the story, but that actually muddy it up.

Bits I did enjoy: our hero's inability to figure out how to acquire warm, well-fitting, waterproof boots, despite his wealth, status, and leisure; it's a running joke through much of the book, and it isn't until late in the story that he runs into an acquaintance, a private detective, who points him to a suitable boot-maker. And there are a couple of flash-forward sections in which the author tells us how a particular character's future will pan out - this does break the flow of the story, but I found those tidbits more interesting than many of the current-day plot-points. It *was* nice to have a set of characters who are pretty much angst-free - the families get along, the friends get along, and it's all rather cozy, if not very exciting - but there wasn't much in the way of witty banter or in-depth characterizations.

And the mystery itself, while starting out in an interesting way, turned into something so convoluted that it didn't hold my interest. It was only the final scenes involving the main culprits that seemed to have any spark, and it's rather a shame when the criminal is more memorable than the hero!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Londonderry Tpke (see notes) in Auburn, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (1/10/2017 UTC) at Londonderry Tpke (see notes) in Auburn, New Hampshire USA

I left this book on top of one of the gas pumps at the Mega-X at the corner of Wilson's Crossing and the Londonderry Tpke at around 3:30; hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in New Hampshire here.]