The Goddess of Buttercups and Daisies

by Martin Millar | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 159376605X Global Overview for this book
Registered by veleta of Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on 11/26/2016
Journal Entry 1 by veleta from Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, November 26, 2016
A humorous account of Aristophanes' production Peace.

At this time, Sparta and Athens have been gone through a decade-long war. When one of them feels exhausted, peace starts to be appreciated. But as soon as that side gets an advantage, peaceful feelings seem to go forgotten.

Goddess Athena is fed up: the city dedicated to her is filled with gloom, but weapon sellers do not want the war to end. Athens is a democracy, so popular vote will count for a lot. Aristophanes' comic play may account for a change of feeling. But the production is crammed with problems (lack of funds, statues which disappear, drunken poets, unprofessional chorus, and main of all, the phalluses are small and won't rise when required). Athena sends a nymph

Journal Entry 2 by veleta at Tapping The Admiral in Kentish Town, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, December 29, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (12/29/2016 UTC) at Tapping The Admiral in Kentish Town, Greater London United Kingdom

The waiter invited me to my black tea. Should I go there every day? A pity it is so far away. Returning to the topic, a great book. It is an original reading with a humourous feel to it, which made me not to take it entirely seriously.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAlfa-Betjewing at Apeldoorn, Gelderland Netherlands on Wednesday, April 12, 2017
I spent a couple of days in London and included Tapping the admiral because of the obzc and because it seemed a nice place to have lunch. And it was! I took this book home to the Netherlands and left two at the obcz.

Will read this book and release it again, somewhere...

Journal Entry 4 by wingAlfa-Betjewing at Apeldoorn, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, May 30, 2017
I really enjoyed this book! It is original and very funny.

Journal Entry 5 by wingAlfa-Betjewing at Apeldoorn, Gelderland Netherlands on Sunday, January 06, 2019
Lent to a friend / teacher classical languages.

Journal Entry 6 by wingAlfa-Betjewing at Apeldoorn, Gelderland Netherlands on Saturday, September 21, 2019
My friend said: I liked the book, it is funny but you have to know something about the Greek mythology to really appreciate it.

The book is now back at my place.