Go Set a Watchman: A Novel

by Harper Lee | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by dabercro of Clinton, Utah USA on 11/24/2016
Journal Entry 1 by dabercro from Clinton, Utah USA on Thursday, November 24, 2016
From the back of the book..."Twenty-six=year-old Jean Louise Finch--"Scout"--returns home from New York City to visit her aging father, Atticus. Set against the backdrop of the civil rights tensions and political turmoil that were transforming the South, Jean Louise's homecoming turns bittersweet when she learns disturbing truths about her close-knit family, the town, and the people dearest to her. Memories from her childhood flood back, and her values and assumptions are thrown into doubt."

My thoughts...I didn't like this as well as "To Kill A Mockingbird". The book did not hold my interest and I didn't feel the "memories" were added seamlessly, sometimes hard to follow.

Journal Entry 2 by dabercro at Clinton, Utah USA on Wednesday, May 24, 2017
Reserving for the General Literature VBB.

Journal Entry 3 by dabercro at Virtual Book Box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Friday, August 25, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (8/24/2017 UTC) at Virtual Book Box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Chosen from the VBB. Sent to lauraloo29 in Edmonton AB.

Journal Entry 4 by winglauraloo29wing at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Thursday, September 21, 2017
This took a circuitous route to me. I had a notice from the post office on September 1st. It has been sent to a post office far away from me. They they had to track it down and I got another notice on September 7th that it was at the closer post office.

However, for some reason Canada Customs thought I owed them $107.00! The post office returned it to Canada Customs to recalculate if I owe them anything.

It was clearly indicated on the green customs form what the book was worth. Canada Customs, for some weird reason, decided it was really worth....... $1900!!!!!!!!

It has re-arrived today. In my mailbox. Safe and sound. Thank you for sending my way!

Journal Entry 5 by winglauraloo29wing at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Saturday, August 18, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (8/23/2018 UTC) at Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Sending as a RABCK to readinghelps Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by readinghelps at Inverell, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, September 04, 2018
This book arrived today. Thanks a lot. I've wanted to read this one ever since it came out. I'm about two-thirds of the way through The Imitation of Christ, by Thomas A. Kempis so, sometime after that...

Journal Entry 7 by readinghelps at Inverell, New South Wales Australia on Monday, October 01, 2018
I finished this book in just a few days. It is a fascinating insight into the Civil Rights era from the perspective of the Finch family of Maycomb, Alambama (of To Kill a Mockingbird fame). It definitely has some surprises for those familiar with To Kill a Mockingbird (which is just about everybody, isn't it?). The experience of Jean Luoise (Scout) reminded me of a similar time in my own life, when I had to learn to respect those I disagreed with. To respect another person, you don't have to agree with them, and you may even disagree on issues that are important to you both. This idea is quickly disappearing in today's politics.

I have a friend interested in reading it next.

Now I'm on to Silas Marner, by George Eliot

Journal Entry 8 by readinghelps at Inverell, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, October 02, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (10/3/2018 UTC) at Inverell, New South Wales Australia

Borrowed.

Journal Entry 9 by readinghelps at Inverell, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, October 07, 2018
Back to me again. Now available.

Journal Entry 10 by readinghelps at Campbell Park in Inverell, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, October 28, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (10/29/2018 UTC) at Campbell Park in Inverell, New South Wales Australia

I left this on a picnic table in Campbell Park, during the combined Churches outdoor service there yesterday. Hopefully someone finds and enjoys it.