The Rest of Us Just Live Here

by Patrick Ness | Teens |
Registered by locker-monster of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 11/11/2016
Journal Entry 1 by locker-monster from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, November 11, 2016
Welcome to BookCrossing! This book is now yours to do with as you please. Keep it and read it or pass it on after you're done. Before you do, please considering making a quick journal entry. We can all track this book's journey and the lives it touches forever more!

Journal Entry 2 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, November 11, 2016
I *love* this book. It takes all of the YA tropes and turns them on their head and it also gets in some loving jabs at some of the YA trappings we've seen over the years. The quick summaries at the beginning of each chapter are amazing; Ness manages to condense the plot of a clichéd YA novel/YA supernatural/fantasy TV show into a few short sentences. What's also great is how Ness portrays the lives of Mikey and his friends. Their lives are just as compelling as the indie kids' lives. If you're a fan of Buffy, and ever wondered what life was like on the Hellmouth outside of Buffy's circle of friends, then this book is for you.
------------------------------
A new YA novel from novelist Patrick Ness, author of the Carnegie Medal- and Kate Greenaway Medal-winning A Monster Calls and the critically acclaimed Chaos Walking trilogy, The Rest of Us Just Live Here is a bold and irreverent novel that powerfully reminds us that there are many different types of remarkable.

What if you aren't the Chosen One? The one who's supposed to fight the zombies, or the soul-eating ghosts, or whatever the heck this new thing is, with the blue lights and the death?

What if you're like Mikey? Who just wants to graduate and go to prom and maybe finally work up the courage to ask Henna out before someone goes and blows up the high school. Again.

Because sometimes there are problems bigger than this week's end of the world, and sometimes you just have to find the extraordinary in your ordinary life.

Even if your best friend is worshipped by mountain lions.

Journal Entry 3 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 21, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (1/22/2017 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking this to the wrapped book exchange for the Calgary BookCrossing (belated) Christmas party.

Journal Entry 4 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, January 29, 2017
This is my selection from the tea party and I was happy to see the author was a favourite; Patrick Ness.. Thank you.

Journal Entry 5 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, July 13, 2018
I'm sorry this book lingered on the shelf so long because once I began to read I could not put it down. A quick novel examining the trials of teenagers and the meaning of life with just a smidge of the weird to keep it YA normal.

Journal Entry 6 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 14, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (7/14/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to the Calgary BC Meetup today.

Journal Entry 7 by Crataegus at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, July 16, 2018
Picked up at this month's Calgary Bookcrossing meetup. Looking forward to the read!

Journal Entry 8 by Crataegus at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, January 06, 2019
Sometimes it takes a really long time for me to figure out what's actually going on in a book. This one took me longer than I should admit. Man - High school told from the perspective of the not-so-special characters! Genius!

Will be brought to Calgary Bookcrossing for the next reader.