Chinese Cinderella: The Secret Story of an Unwanted Daughter

by Adeline Yen Mah | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by futurecat of Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on 10/28/2016
Journal Entry 1 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, October 28, 2016
A retelling of Falling Leaves for children. Looking back at my review of that book, I think it works better as a children's story, because the black and white way the author paints her family is less jarring here (probably because you expect "good guys" and "bad guys" in a children's book, and don't expect it to have the shades of grey of real life). I think I would have loved this book if I'd read it s a child.

^ ^
=+=
v

Journal Entry 2 by futurecat at Coffee Club Hagley Park in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, November 19, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (10/29/2016 UTC) at Coffee Club Hagley Park in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Released at the October meetup, and totally failed to make release notes at the time. I can't remember now if it was picked up by someone at the meetup, or released to the bookshelf afterward.

Happy bookcrossing to the finder, anyway!

Want to meet other Bookcrossers? A small but active group of Christchurch Bookcrossers meet once a month for lunch and to exchange books. If you'd like to join us, check out the Conventions and Meetings Forum for details.

^ ^
=+=
v

Journal Entry 3 by winglytteltonwitchwing at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, November 25, 2016
Picked this book up at the meet up and I read it this week. I am pleased that I read this version of the author's life as I am not sure I could handle an adult version. It is interesting that there are similar fairy tales such as Cinderella in many very different countries.

Journal Entry 4 by winglytteltonwitchwing at Fava Cafe in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, December 09, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (12/9/2016 UTC) at Fava Cafe in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

To be taken to the bookcrossing meet up at the Cafe

Christchurch bookcrossers meet up regularly once a month and for more information check out Conventions and Meetings in the Forums.

Journal Entry 5 by chuckacraft at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, March 13, 2017
Hello fellow bookcrossers!
I picked this book up at a bookcrossing meeting a few months ago and I just started reading it now :-)

Released 2 yrs ago (6/10/2017 UTC) at Little Free Library - Hereford St in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Happy bookcrossing!

I did enjoy reading this book even though most of the plot is quite sad and upsetting... It seemed to black and white though, how the characters were described - as earlier comments from other bookcrossers suggested already.