The Outcasts

by Kathleen Kent | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0316206113 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingperryfranwing of Elk Grove, California USA on 11/1/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Tuesday, November 01, 2016

The Outcasts A Novel
Author: Kathleen Kent

A taut, thrilling adventure story about buried treasure, a manhunt, and a woman determined to make a new life for herself in the old west. — It's the 19th century on the Gulf Coast, a time of opportunity and lawlessness. After escaping the Texas brothel where she'd been a virtual prisoner, Lucinda Carter heads for Middle Bayou to meet her lover, who has a plan to make them both rich, chasing rumors of a pirate's buried treasure.

Meanwhile Nate Cannon, a young Texas policeman with a pure heart and a strong sense of justice, is on the hunt for a ruthless killer named McGill who has claimed the lives of men, women, and even children across the frontier. Who--if anyone--will survive when their paths finally cross?

As Lucinda and Nate's stories converge, guns are drawn, debts are paid, and Kathleen Kent delivers an unforgettable portrait of a woman who will stop at nothing to make a new life for herself.

Journal Entry 2 by wingperryfranwing at North Ogden, Utah USA on Saturday, November 05, 2016

I really enjoyed this novel from Kent who also wrote The Heretic's Daughter which I also liked. The Outcasts takes place in 1870, five years after the end of the Civil War and was written using two story-lines. The first told the story of Lucinda, a prostitute who escapes from a bordello in Fort Worth, Texas and heads to the Middle Bayou, near Houston, to take a job as a teacher to a group of young students there. She goes there at the behest of her lover who is after some supposed buried gold of the Pirate Lafitte! The second story line focuses on Nate Cannon, a young Texas Ranger who hooks up with two older Rangers in pursuit of a vicious killer named William McGill, who has killed men, women, and even children during his murderous exploits. The two story-lines come together about two-thirds into the novel and include several denouements that really make the novel interesting. Both Lucinda and Nate are very well-developed characters as are the other rangers and villains.

I guess you could classify this as a western although I thought it was much broader in scope than the typical western novel. In some ways, it reminded me of one of my favorite novels, Lonesome Dove, with the narrative of the Texas Rangers on the trail of a vicious murderer. Overall, I would give this one a high recommendation especially if you like historical novels with great character development.

Journal Entry 3 by wingperryfranwing at Surprise Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Monday, November 20, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (11/21/2017 UTC) at Surprise Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Releasing into the Surprise Paperback bookbox. Hope someone will enjoy this one!

Journal Entry 4 by wingbookstogivewing at Springville, Tennessee USA on Friday, December 01, 2017
I selected this one from the Surprise Paperback bookbox, thanks for including it!