Romans: Authorised King James Version (Pocket Canons)

by Introduced by Ruth Rendell | Religion & Spirituality |
ISBN: 0862419727 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingCordelia-annewing of Someplace, Georgia USA on 10/20/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingCordelia-annewing from Someplace, Georgia USA on Thursday, October 20, 2016
I have always connected emotionally to St. Paul's epistles and his letter to the Romans is particularly moving. Here is a man who cares deeply about his community. He's a passionate spiritual father. I enjoyed novelist Ruth Rendell's well considered introduction to this book, which is one of a series that I have appreciated in bookcrossing.

As the English-speaking world spins further and further away from its cultural and literary roots, it is good to have these miniature editions of books of the King James Bible, produced between 1603 and 1611. Then England was just two generations away from being a Catholic country and the fairly new printing press brought books, formerly only owned by the very rich, the Church, Universities and other vaunted institutions of the day, to more and more people. Thus, the King James translation became a seminal book of my dear mother-tongue, English, spoken beautifully and with great love in the American South of my childhood. I didn't stumble upon these little books until about 2004 when I started bookcrossing. I was instinctively drawn to them as a lover of English and a reverent user of it. In the late 1990s Grove Press comissioned prominent secular writers or other cultural figures like musician Bono and the Dalai Lama, the religious leader of Tibetan Buddhism, to review the books of the King James Canon for the "Pocket Canons." Though not technically in print anymore, Pocket Canons are still about. All of the essays are preserved in Revelations: Personal Responses to the Books of the Bible, released in 2007 by Canongate Books. The original essays are refreshing. They often bring new perspectives and help me to appreciate the sacred texts in new ways.

Journal Entry 2 by wingCordelia-annewing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Released 11 mos ago (10/17/2018 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

This book is going out to a friend who enjoys geocaching. This tiny book is the right size and it fits with a theme for wish list book I'm sending.

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, October 22, 2018
The box arrived today; thanks so much, for the wishlist book and for the bonus books as well! This one contains Paul's letters to the Romans, and I recall discussing them at my folks' Bible study classes... Rendell's introduction had some fascinating points, a nice addition to the text.

Released 10 mos ago (11/4/2018 UTC) at New Hampshire geocache (see notes for details) in -- Geocaches, New Hampshire USA

I left this little book, bagged for protection, in the The Bigger The Better geocache in Amherst NH; hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***