Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania

Where's this book been?
by Erik Larson | Nonfiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 10/31/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, October 31, 2016
I found this good-condition hardcover in a Bedford MA Little Free Library, while dropping off some books of my own. I'd read it via audiobook, and was glad of a hardcopy to release. (I've enjoyed several of Larson's books, including Devil in the White City and Isaac's Storm.)

The book describes the last voyage of the Lusitania, with forays into the political situation, the US reaction to the war in Europe, and the many stories of passengers and crew on the ship, weaving them into an intriguing tale.

Among the many tidbits: I was surprised to find that one of the passengers was Charles E. Lauriat Jr., of the (late, lamented) Lauriat Books. The narrative described his habit of making annual trips to London for some rare-book buying-and-selling, and apparently he never bothered insuring the items he was transporting as the big liners were so very safe. (This, even after the Titanic.) Ah, well! The human cost was immense, of course, but the loss of some unique literary treasures also hurt...

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, 104 Belknap St in Dover, New Hampshire USA on Monday, October 31, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (10/31/2016 UTC) at Little Free Library, 104 Belknap St in Dover, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the LFL at around 3:45 or so; hope the finder enjoys it!

*** Released as part of the 2016 Tick Tock release challenge. ***