The Picture of Dorian Gray

Where's this book been?
by Oscar Wilde | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 10/20/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, October 20, 2016
I found this good-condition softcover at a local Savers thrift shop, and as I love the story I was glad of another release copy.

I've read and enjoyed the book many times over the years. (I've also seen several of the film adaptations; the 1945 film is a favorite of mine.) The story is, of course, a classic - a tale of "be careful what you wish for", among other things. An incredibly beautiful and unspoiled young man is given some eye-opening hints by a bored aristocrat who wants to see what he can make of this beauty, and Dorian promptly exceeds his every expectation - with the help of a very special painting...

In my most recent re-reading of the book I was struck by a couple of things - first, I didn't have as much sympathy for Dorian as I did the first time or two that I read the book, as he seemed to give in to temptation far too easily. Second, there are some long descriptive passages about Dorian's explorations into the life of the senses, involving page after page of descriptions of jewels, costumes, paintings... I found these dull the first time I read the book, and now I find I can practically swim in them. Interesting... It's also interesting to me that Lord Henry's first step in influencing Dorian is to give him... a book!

[The "Unshelved" web-strip has a weekly book-club feature; here's their Dorian Gray strip! And the TV Tropes page may be of interest - but beware of spoilers...]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Digital Credit Union, 257 Lowell Rd. in Hudson, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (12/13/2016 UTC) at Digital Credit Union, 257 Lowell Rd. in Hudson, New Hampshire USA

I plan to leave this book on a bench in the DCU lobby at around 3:30; hope the finder enjoys it!

*** Released as part of the 2016 What's In A Name release challenge. ***