Passage

by Connie Willis | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingBooksandMusicwing of Seattle, Washington USA on 10/2/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingBooksandMusicwing from Seattle, Washington USA on Sunday, October 02, 2016
I haven't read this yet but have slated it to read this month. I am listing it in Bookstogive's Lit/Fic VBB.

Journal Entry 2 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Sunday, October 09, 2016
I loved the characterizations in this book; Maisie, Mr. Wojakowski, and Mr. Briarly were probably my favorites but all the characters were very powerfully created and a pleasure to read. I also loved the history; The Titanic shared by Joanna, The Hindenburg and other disasters shared by Maisie, the stories of the Aircraft Carrier USS Yorktown shared by Mr. Wojakowski; and I loved the English Literature shared by Mr. Briarly. I really enjoyed reading this book, I followed the author's words through disasters, incredible bravery and acts of giving, occasional cowardice, the SOS theory, the NDEs, the visions experienced during coding. Even help given from beyond the grave? Even something that lives beyond the functioning of our brains? An excellent book even if the ending left me slightly befuddled. It is a book I would read again, even if just for the pleasure of listening to Mr. Briarly and Mr. Wojakowski, and laughing with and admiring Maisie.
Recommended.

Journal Entry 3 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Friday, January 06, 2017
Selected from the Lit/Fic VBB by perryfran.

Journal Entry 4 by wingperryfranwing at North Ogden, Utah USA on Friday, January 13, 2017
Received today. Thanks for sending this...I actually have a couple of other books by Willis that I've been meaning to read for a while. Hopefully, I can get to these sometime soon.

Journal Entry 5 by wingperryfranwing at Elk Grove, California USA on Thursday, July 19, 2018
This was a very compelling and unusual read. Joanna Lander is a psychologist who is trying to figure out the mysteries of the Near-Death Experience (NDE). This is the experience reported by many who supposedly come back from death where they are in a tunnel and see a bright light and possibly relatives or friends waiting for them at the end of the tunnel. But what is really happening? Is this a real experience and proof of an after life or is this a message from a dying brain trying to save itself? Joanna has been interviewing many patients in the hospital where she works in Colorado trying to determine the similarities of the NDE's. Then she hooks up with Dr. Richard Wright who has come up with a way to simulate the NDE using drugs. She becomes involved in a program using volunteers to record their drug-induced NDE's but because the volunteers drop out or have limited use, Joanna volunteers to be a subject and her NDE's are not what she expects!

This novel is full of great characters who share their experiences with Joanna (not always their NDE). These include Maisie, a young girl waiting for a heart transplant who is obsessed with disasters including the Hindenburg, the Lusitania, and later the Titanic. There is also Mr. Wojakowski who was in WWII on the Yorktown, an aircraft carrier that sunk during the war. He is full of interesting stories but are they reliable? Then there is Joanna's old high school English teacher, Mr. Briarly, who has Alzheimer's and may be a key to understanding what Joanna experiences during her NDE experiences.

The book really delved into the mind and how it may work. Joanna was constantly searching for something important on the edge of her consciousness but it kept eluding her. I know I have experienced this feeling many times. Overall, I did really enjoy this with a few reservations. Joanna seems to always be going in circles looking for an answer to fit the mysteries of the NDE's. I think the hospital itself was a metaphor for this with its maze of hallways that are very hard to navigate. And in my opinion, the book could have been cut by about half (its almost 800 pages!), but again it was very compelling reading and enjoyable. I have a few other books by Willis that I hope to get to soon.

Journal Entry 6 by wingperryfranwing at Wishlist Tag Game , A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, July 19, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (7/19/2018 UTC) at Wishlist Tag Game , A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Sending this on to ILuvToRead2 in Illinois as part of the ☆●USA & Canada Wishlist Tag Game●☆ 2018. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 7 by ILuvToRead2 at Chicago, Illinois USA on Tuesday, July 24, 2018
I received this in the mail today as part of the wishlist tag game. Thank you! I read about this book in "Book Lust: Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason" and it sounded intriguing.