Big Fish: A Novel of Mythic Proportions

by Daniel Wallace | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 3/7/2004
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, March 07, 2004
The book of the film - looks like fun. Sort of fantastic-realism if that makes sense?

(26/11) Review to follow

This starts off a bit strange, and ends very strangely indeed. It reminds me a bit of Kurt Vonnegut, full of imagery and allegory, with dizzying leaps back and forward in time. This said, its quite a light read and fun.

The ‘big fish’ (in a small pond) is Edward Bloom, who escapes from his home town of Ashland, Alabama, literally taking his life and his digits into his own hands - no pun intended, you’ll just have to read the book to find out what that means!

He eventually becomes a successful businessman, a myth, a father (of William), and owner of a town and a mistress. He is an inveterate comedian, do-gooder, teller of tall tales and drifter, who spends most of the book trying to die, badly. Unlike the rest of his legendary life, he doesn‘t quite get the hang of being a father, and the responsibility that that entails. A couple of times in the book; when his son is born, and then again when he is on his death bed and the 2 men try to forge some deeper relationship, we do get some really strong dialogue, philosophy and pathos. I would have liked some more of that and less of the playing about. As I said, good fun though :)

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan at on Saturday, November 27, 2004
Released on Friday, November 26, 2004 at about 6:00:00 PM BX time (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada) at Caffe Nero in Ipswich, England United Kingdom.

Left at our first Ipswich meet-up, and a fine occasion it was too :) Semioticghost left this on my behalf - a hard woman to say no to ;)