Land of Hidden Fires

by Kirk Kjeldsen | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingjlautnerwing of Henderson, Nevada USA on 9/28/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingjlautnerwing from Henderson, Nevada USA on Tuesday, February 21, 2017
[Book registered using a prenumbered label]

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Tuesday, February 21, 2017
Won from a Goodreads book giveaway by the author! Arrived sometime since last Thursday, while I was out of town. Thank you Kirk Kjeldsen!

Journal Entry 3 by wingjlautnerwing at San Luis Obispo, California USA on Tuesday, February 21, 2017
**Edit**

I am "AnonymousFinder". Somehow I got logged out this morning and did not realize it when I made this entry.

Journal Entry 4 by wingjlautnerwing at San Luis Obispo, California USA on Thursday, February 23, 2017
Simply written with very little dialogue, yet this book manages to convey a sense of how it was for rural Norwegians during the occupation in WWII, and a good impression of a teenage girl, her father, and the American pilot she assisted.

Kari finds a pilot hanging from his parachute a little distance from his plane. Her fifteen-year-old head swimming with visions of movie stars and adolescent romantic dreams, she offers to lead him to the Swedish border.

This is no small feat. Norway is occupied and German soldiers are everywhere. Kari and her father tend a small herd of animals and have very little to eat or for their animals to eat. Their savings is a small handful of coins. Kari has been chafing against the confines of the small village for some time, though, and is ready to move. In the middle of the night she grabs most of the money, takes the horse and a small wagon with what little she can bring.

While she and the American, Lance, head off, she is not thinking of what her father might do or what opportunistic neighbors might do. Trying to find the American are the Germans and a neighbor, and trying to find Kari is her father. The snow both helps and hurts Kari and Lance and the horse as they ride, rest, sleep, ride some more.

The journey becomes, for us readers, increasingly tense. This tension builds as the pursuers close in.

Well-written, with sufficient detail for us to feel the cold, see the desolation, sense the fear. This would make a good starter novel for those interested in the lives of the occupied during WWII and a good novel in general for those of us who have been reading for a long time.

Journal Entry 5 by wingjlautnerwing at San Luis Obispo, California USA on Wednesday, March 01, 2017
Reserved for bookstogive's general literature VBB.