The Victorian Chaise-Longue

Hello stranger!
by Marghanita Laski | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingReetPetitewing of Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on 7/8/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingReetPetitewing from Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Sunday, July 08, 2018
The charming, childish wife of a successful lawyer, falls asleep one afternoon on her Victorian chaise longue, recently purchased in an antique shop, and awakes in the fetid atmosphere of an ugly, over-furnished room she has never seen before. This is the story of a trip backward in time in which a nostalgia for the quaint turns into a hideous nightmare.

Journal Entry 2 by wingReetPetitewing at Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, July 23, 2018
Bookray going to

Going to
Florence71, France
Bookworm-lady, Spain
mcsar, Canada

Journal Entry 3 by wingFlorence71wing at Fontenay-sous-Bois, Ile-de-France France on Wednesday, August 08, 2018
Didn't waiting it so earlier ! I read it now for changing of my current english book.

Journal Entry 4 by wingFlorence71wing at Fontenay-sous-Bois, Ile-de-France France on Thursday, August 16, 2018
Very strange novel. I don't know if I liked it or not, but the idea of Melanie sitting on this chair and can't move during all the novel disturbed me a little : I will wish more action, I think and another end to the book as the husband wakes his wife or she wakes up with a start, and they finish by burn the chair !

Journal Entry 5 by wingFlorence71wing at -- Somewhere in Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, August 16, 2018

Released 7 mos ago (8/20/2018 UTC) at -- Somewhere in Madrid, Madrid Spain

Little book continues his journey for Spain ! Happy reading Bookworm_Lady !

Journal Entry 6 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Sunday, August 26, 2018
And here it is!
Looking forward to reading it, I don't think I will take long.
Thanks for sharing, ReetPetite (and the Simenon postcard), and for sending it my way, Florence71.
As soon as I finish reading it, the book will leave Europe for Canada... :)

Journal Entry 7 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, August 30, 2018
Currently reading... definitely a page-turner! :)

Journal Entry 8 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Sunday, September 02, 2018
What a strange and lovely short novel!
Beautifully written, and with a surprising premise, with a feminist statement thrown in: What was considered a sin and shameful in the past, is now acceptable and common, just like some diseases considered incurable can now be cured...
Let's remember that this was written back in the 50s, and it is worth noticing how Melanie / Millie tries to adapt to what she believes is expected of her by different people at different times.
Some interesting reflections on religion too:
"...why, the reason for religion is that it can make you, keep you safe. If religion weren't true, then there would be no salvation, no comfort for being alive and alone, there would be nothing but living and dying... no, that cannot be so, she said aghast, that cannot be endured, of course religion is true and will save me, confident at last that here was the key, the one magic that could not fail."
I have made some research, as I had never heard about this writer before, and apparently this was her only text within this "supernatural" genre, which is a pity, because I consider it a master work.
Thanks for introducing Ms Laski to me, ReetPetite; the novel will soon be on its way to mcsar in Canada.

Journal Entry 9 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Saturday, September 15, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (9/15/2018 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

Sent today to the next (and last) reader in the bookring.
Enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 10 by mcsar at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, September 26, 2018
The book arrived in Canada today. It looks like it will be an interesting read. As I am the last in the ray, I will start reading after I finish with my other book commitments, unless someone else join the ray. I do look forward to reading this "strange" tale.

--------------------------------
Updated October 6, 2018

The story line is surely very different and I like how the author handles the premise. The experience described is horrifying. The book is quite a psychological thriller and still manages to be thought provoking, and I think the ambivalent ending adds to that. I enjoy the book a lot and would love to read more from the author. Thanks ReetPetite for sharing this on a ray and Bookworm-lady for sending the book to me. I am glad to be introduced to this author.

Journal Entry 11 by mcsar at First Sentences, Virtual Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Friday, December 07, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (12/7/2018 UTC) at First Sentences, Virtual Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Your pick for the First Sentences Virtual Book Box. I hope you like this surprise.

Journal Entry 12 by mysteriousmummy at Shefford, Bedfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 02, 2019
Thank you for sharing all the way from Canada.