A Dangerous Place: A Maisie Dobbs Novel

by Jacqueline Winspear | Mystery & Thrillers |
ISBN: 0062220551 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingstarrdustwing of Cookstown, Ontario Canada on 9/16/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingstarrdustwing from Cookstown, Ontario Canada on Friday, September 16, 2016
From the inside cover flap:"Spring 1937: In the four years since she left England, Maisie Dobbs has experienced love, contentment, stability - - and the deepest tragedy a woman can endure. Now, all she wants is the peace she believes she might find by returning to India. But her sojourn in the hills of Darjeeling is cut short when her stepmother summons her home to England: her aging father, Frankie Dobbs, is not getting any youner. On a ship bound for England, Maisie realizes she isn't ready to return. Against the wishes of the captain who warns her, 'You will be alone in a most dangerous place,' she disembarks in Gibraltar. Though she is on her own, Maisie is far from alone: the British garrison town is teeming with refugees fleeing a brutal civil war across the border in Spain."

Journal Entry 2 by wingstarrdustwing at Cookstown, Ontario Canada on Saturday, August 29, 2020
Starting to read this book today.

Journal Entry 3 by wingstarrdustwing at Cookstown, Ontario Canada on Monday, September 21, 2020
Finished reading this book today. The writing of Jacqueline Winspear always keeps me turning the pages and wanting more. This book in the Maisie Dobbs series was different than previous books and focused more on Maisie herself and how she was trying to cope with significant loss in her life. So although there was a murder and a need for investigation, it was secondary to the main focus of Maisie's own internal struggles. I'll be passing this on to my sister to read in the near future.

Journal Entry 4 by wingstarrdustwing at Cookstown, Ontario Canada on Saturday, October 24, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (10/24/2020 UTC) at Cookstown, Ontario Canada

Passed this book on to my sister, Maranlin to read as this is the next one in the series on Maisie Dobbs. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by wingMaranlinwing at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, October 24, 2020
This book has been loaned to me by my sister, starrdust. Thank you so much for sharing!

Journal Entry 6 by wingMaranlinwing at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, November 24, 2020
We see a very vulnerable Maisie Dobbs in this book. I was very sad about the tragedies she has experienced, and this was not how I thought the story would go forth while reading the previous novels, nor how I wanted it to be. However, it was interesting to discover how Maisie deals with this part of her life journey, and the case she was unofficially working on really helped her along on that journey. It will be interesting to see what happens next in the series.