The Winthrop Woman

by Anya Seton | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0340019514 Global Overview for this book
Registered by AnonymousFriend of Wantirna South, Victoria Australia on 9/25/2016
Journal Entry 1 by AnonymousFriend from Wantirna South, Victoria Australia on Sunday, September 25, 2016
This book follows Elizabeth Winthrop, a courageous Puritan woman who finds herself at odds with her heritage and surroundings. She married into the family of Governor John Winthrop of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Elizabeth befriends famous heretic Anne Hutchinson, challenges an army captain, and dares to love as her heart commanded. In those times of hardship, famine, and Indian attacks, many believed that the only way to prosper was through the strong, bigoted, and theocratic government that John Winthrop favoured. Elizabeth has thousands of descendants today; many of these, guided by Victorian genealogists and a biased presentation, have a vague feeling that they should be ashamed of her. A member of the Winthrop family, a hundred years ago, even went so far as to mutilate references to her in the original manuscripts. This book shows how her life was significant and praiseworthy.

Released 2 yrs ago (10/8/2016 UTC) at Melbourne Central Little Library in Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia

Release #160 for 2016 ...

Journal Entry 3 by ApartmentCat at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Friday, October 28, 2016
I picked this book up earlier in the week and am enjoying it so far. I will return it to the Little Library when I'm finished. TFTB!

Journal Entry 4 by ApartmentCat at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Monday, February 27, 2017
I've finally finished the book (it was a good book, I'm just a very slow reader!). I will return it to the Melbourne Central library later this week hopefully.

Journal Entry 5 by ApartmentCat at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Monday, January 28, 2019
Released at Melbourne Central Little Library.

Released 2 mos ago (1/28/2019 UTC) at Melbourne Central Little Library in Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia

Released.