Rabid: A Cultural History of the World's Most Diabolical Virus (CD Audiobook, Unabridged)

by Bill Wasik, Monica Murphy | Audiobooks |
Registered by wingHI77wing of Fort Myers, Florida USA on 9/10/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingHI77wing from Fort Myers, Florida USA on Saturday, September 10, 2016
A best friend of man,

forgets everything
under the viruses teeth.

Journal Entry 2 by wingHI77wing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Tuesday, September 20, 2016
I love the cover on this. It says so much about our fear.

You know, I've understood what rabies is for a long time. Can't say I thought too much of it. A few months ago, I listened to the audiobook of 'To Kill A Mockingbird' where the scene of the rabid dog was very striking.

It stuck with me and probably will indefinitely. To be honest, I have always sprinkled the word 'rabid' into my conversations but never really gave it more than passing thought. So I thought it would be good to finally run the gauntlet.

This isn't a bad book but like the general consensus here, the book does derail here and there in the subject. I feel like the author was stretching to make the book a respectable length and so therefore, pulled in any number of only quasi related things or things that are nothing more than conjecture on the authors part.

I feel that undermined the value of such an interesting subject. I'm sure it could have been structured differently or from a different angle to fill out the subject without having to use 'filler'. Still, it was interesting and the story of Bali is of particular interest because I just read a travelogue with a huge chunk dedicated to the authors travels to Bali (Video Night in Kathmandu: And Other Reports from the Not-So-Far East by Pico Iyer).

So to go from the time before in Pico Iyers book of Bali, to what happened latter with rabids in this book.... it's a small world. Or perhaps, this stuff was going on in the background of Iyer's time there and he never noticed?

Either way, I found it interesting and worth reading. :)

Journal Entry 3 by wingHI77wing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (9/20/2016 UTC) at Fort Myers, Florida USA

This book has become part of BigJohnLefty's Another AUDIOBOOKBOX.

I was the last in line for this one and it was supposed to be returned to him. Unfortunately he has passed away sometime at the beginning of this year and he will be greatly missed.

Another kind bookcrosser has opted to take over the rounds and will try to keep it going in his memory.

May he rest in peace.

Journal Entry 4 by devon612 at Altamonte Springs, Florida USA on Friday, September 30, 2016
This has arrived as part of BigJohnLefty's Audio Bookbox. I am restarting this bookring soon!

Journal Entry 5 by devon612 at Altamonte Springs, Florida USA on Sunday, November 06, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (11/7/2016 UTC) at Altamonte Springs, Florida USA

Being released as part of BigJohnLefty's Audio Bookbox.

Journal Entry 6 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Saturday, January 14, 2017
Didn't realize that I did not journal this book. I am so sorry. I lent it to a friend and received it back last night.

Journal Entry 7 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Thursday, September 07, 2017
I am amazed at how much I did enjoy this book. When I started it, I wondered how you could write a book about this disease.

Journal Entry 8 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Monday, November 12, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (11/12/2018 UTC) at Cape Coral, Florida USA

Enjoy! RABCK for rhythmbiscuit. For both E-less (title)and The THE (subtitle) Release Challenges 2018

Journal Entry 9 by rhythmbiscuit at Northglenn, Colorado USA on Friday, November 30, 2018
Thank you! The books arrived a couple days ago. This one looks interesting.