Frankenstein

by Mary Shelley | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 9/26/2016
Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Monday, September 26, 2016
This is one of 60 books donated on 09/25/16 to the Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720) by my friend from New Boston, New Hampshire. Thank you so much for your generosity!

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Tuesday, October 17, 2017
I am reading this book now because I started reading a children's version of Frankenstein this morning to my four-year-old grandson. I thought it would. E nice to familiarize myself with the classic version of Frankenstein since I never read it. Those who have read it, including my daughter, have given it rave reviews.

Journal Entry 3 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, October 29, 2017
It's taken me 70 years to read this classic. Ironically enough, I started reading it because I was reading a children's version of this book to my four-year-old grandson, and I did not want his book to put spoilers into my own classic story which I started reading simultaneously.

Wow! What a novel! I never knew the "real" story of Frankenstein, nor did I know that Frankenstein was the name of the doctor who created the monster rather than the monster himself.

This novel was written in 1818 by a nineteen-year-old. Another "Wow!" needs to be inserted here. The story is magnificently written. I never much in the past liked to read nineteenth-century novels, but I did learn to appreciate them more with tutored reads of selected older novels provided so kindly to me by a member of LibraryThing. What I learned to do with those novels was to take notes on the story, the characters, and keep a running vocabulary. This bailed me out quite a few times during the reading of this novel as I simply cannot keep all this information in my head.

What I found exceptional in this novel was the dense storyline which in some places was truly beautiful despite the grim nature of the story. This was a book about friendship (or the lack thereof) and of courage (in many different forms).

I especially liked this quote from late in the story:

“Even where the affections are not strongly moved by any superior excellence, the companions of our childhood always possess a certain power over our minds which hardly any later friend can obtain.”

Although people associate Frankenstein with horror, I will only now associate that word and the novel with sadness. It is a sad world in which we live in where some of us judge others by appearance rather than by inner motive. This novel only serves to accentuate that kind of sadness (and wrongness) and puts the face of a monster we call "Frankenstein" to that kind of sentiment.

Journal Entry 4 by wingSqueakyChuwing at on Tuesday, November 28, 2017
I'm releasing this book for the following BookCrossing challenge:

***The 2017 What's in a Name Release Challenge hosted by DragonGoddess . The title of this book contains the names FRANK and KEN.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 5 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, December 16, 2017

This book is being released at Panera Bread at 219 E. Middle Lane in Rockville, Maryland, during a BCinDC BookCrossing meetup.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello and welcome to BookCrossing ... where we make the whole world a library!

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 7 by ResQgeek at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, January 21, 2018
From today's BC-in-DC meeting, to be released. A quick search shows that this book has been banned, so I'm setting it aside to release during Banned Books Week.

Journal Entry 8 by ResQgeek at Panera Bread at 219 E. Middle Lane in Rockville, Maryland USA on Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (9/26/2018 UTC) at Panera Bread at 219 E. Middle Lane in Rockville, Maryland USA

This is the American Library Association's annual Banned Books Week, which celebrates the freedom to read and promotes awareness of continuing attempts to censor books. This classic book was banned in South African in 1955, so it is being released to support the freedom to read.

Celebrate your freedom to read by reading a banned book!

Left on one of the tables outside the shop.

======================

DEAR FINDER,

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 9 by wingmelydiawing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, October 21, 2018
I spotted this on the shelves at Potbelly. I've read it so I wanted to share my thoughts:

Forget all the Frankenstein stereotypes you know. Forget Igor, grave robbing, neck bolts, electricity, and mobs of angry villagers carrying torches. Victor Frankenstein is a student of natural philosophy (what science was evidently called back then) who plays with chemicals in order to create life from dead tissue. The monster, which remains nameless throughout the story, so frightens Victor that he runs away and tries to forget about it. The monster, initially gentle but driven to cruelty by the repeated condemnation by mankind, vows to ruin Victor's life in return for creating his misery. It's an interesting story, one that touches less obviously on the ethics of scientific experimentation, but says quite a lot about the unfortunate importance of beauty in society. Victor is more naive and pitiful than evil or mad. Definitely one worth reading, but don't go in expecting anything like those famous old movies.

I left this on the shelves for a future reader to enjoy. Safe travels, little book!