Flight Behavior: A Novel

by Barbara Kingsolver | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by JennyC1230 of Woodstock, Georgia USA on 9/9/2016
Journal Entry 1 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Friday, September 09, 2016
Book Description:
Flight Behavior transfixes from its opening scene, when a young woman's narrow experience of life is thrown wide with the force of a raging fire. In the lyrical language of her native Appalachia, Barbara Kingsolver bares the rich, tarnished humanity of her novel's inhabitants and unearths the modern complexities of rural existence. Characters and reader alike are quickly carried beyond familiar territory here, into the unsettled ground of science, faith, and everyday truces between reason and conviction.

Dellarobia Turnbow is a restless farm wife who gave up her own plans when she accidentally became pregnant at seventeen. Now, after a decade of domestic disharmony on a failing farm, she has settled for permanent disappointment but seeks momentary escape through an obsessive flirtation with a younger man. As she hikes up a mountain road behind her house to a secret tryst, but instead encounters a shocking sight: a silent, forested valley filled with what looks like a lake of fire. She can only understand it as a cautionary miracle, but it sparks a raft of other explanations from scientists, religious leaders and the media. The bewildering emergency draws rural farmers into unexpected acquaintance with urbane journalists, opportunists, sightseers, and a striking biologist with his own stake in the outcome. As the community lines up to judge the woman and her miracle, Dellarobia confronts her family, her church, her town and a larger world, in a flight toward truth that could undo all she has ever believed.

I found this unregistered book on the bookshelf at the local OBCZ inside Soho Bagel in Woodstock, Georgia. I'm saving this for a bookbox.

Journal Entry 2 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Friday, September 23, 2016
Putting into the 17th round of Bookstogive's General Literature VBB.

Journal Entry 3 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Monday, May 15, 2017
This book hasn't been chosen in a couple of rounds, so I'm taking it out of Bookstogive's General Literature VBB.

Journal Entry 4 by JennyC1230 at Little Free Library #5161 in Acworth, Georgia USA on Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (5/17/2017 UTC) at Little Free Library #5161 in Acworth, Georgia USA

Left in the Little Free Library #5161 in Acworth, Georgia. Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 5 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Thursday, February 01, 2018
I didn't realize that this book was chosen from the VBB until Bookstogive sent me a message, I had already wild released it. I went back and picked this book up again. Sending to Shroffland soon since it was picked from the VBB.

Sorry that it's so late!

Journal Entry 6 by wingShrofflandwing at Snellville, Georgia USA on Tuesday, February 06, 2018
Thank you Jenny!