Feet Of Clay: Discworld Novel 19

by Terry Pratchett | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by erinacea of Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on 9/2/2016
Journal Entry 1 by erinacea from Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Friday, September 02, 2016
This is yet another Discworld book I bought to participate in Mark Oshiro's Discworld reading marathon. As with its predecessors, Guards! Guards! and Men at Arms, this is one of the Discworld books I'd previously already experienced as an audio book.

The plot:
Vetenari poisoned? Yet another assassination attempt threatens the stability of Ankh-Morpork and once again it falls to the City Watch to prevent the attempt to become an actual murder. Meanwhile, golems are acting out. One of them might even be killing people!

I realize that lots of people love this book, but somehow it never really clicked for me. This is strange because I adore Cheery, who's not only a delightful addition to the Watch but also a really well-written realistic female character. In fact, Cheery and Detritus are my favourite Discworld characters (followed by Death and a large gap), so it's a bit surprising that this book featuring both of them (and introducing the former) doesn't even come close to the top of my list. It's a good book but not one of my favourites. Still, of the books covered so far it does (barely) make the top 10.

1. Small Gods
2. Maskerade
3. Men at Arms
-------- (imaginary line splitting special favs from normal favs)
4. Guards! Guards!
5. Reaper Man
6. Witches Abroad
7. Wyrd Sisters
8. Soul Music
9. Mort
-------- (imaginary line splitting favs from non-favs)
10. Feet of Clay

I think part of the problem is that I didn't care much for the mystery in this story and that I still don't understand how major spoiler (highlight to make visible) the golems and the poisoning plot fit together. Was it coincidence that the golem's king was sold to Carry and producing the poisoned candles, or conversely, did Carry's orders to have it participate in Vetenari's assassination (attempt) play a part in it losing its mind?
I really think that should be clearer by the end of the book, especially on the third or fourth reread.

My dislike probably also shows in the lukewarm summary above. I have real trouble writing a pithy teaser and the one on the back of my copy isn't a good inspiration, either.

Next up: Hogfather